Interested in learning more about green chemistry at New Orleans? You can find symposia on green chemistry and sustainability by searching the online program or mobile app, or by browsing Technical Sessions, click on Filter by Themes, check and apply green chemistry or sustainability.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of “Green Chemistry: Theory and Practice” by Paul Anastas and John Warner. This work identified twelve principles for practicing chemistry in a way that reduces or eliminates hazardous substances and waste. Its publication promoted greater awareness that chemists play a key role in creating a more sustainable future, and this message inspired, and continues to inspire, academic research and industrial application. We invite you to celebrate this anniversary in a full-day session in honor of Anastas and Warner entitled, “State of the Art: Two Decades of the 12 Principles of Green Chemistry.” Monday, March 19, a.m. and p.m. in Blaine Kern E, New Orleans Marriott
The ACS GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable (GCIPR) is offering several opportunities to learn and engage at this Spring National Meeting:
- Join a GCIPR workshop entitled “Essential Green Chemistry Tools and Techniques for Pharmaceutical Scientists,” that will equip practicing chemists and graduate students with practical tools, methods and metrics. The free workshop is Sunday, March 18, 1:30 -4:30 p.m. in Gallier B, Sheraton New Orleans. Space is limited. Register for the workshop in the meeting registration process, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a small deposit required to secure your seat, refunded upon attendance of the workshop.
- Join the GCIPR for a full day Wednesday to discuss continuous flow, green solvents, biocatalysis, novel high-throughput enabling technologies and more in an I&EC session on “Innovative Green Processing Technology & Chemistry” on Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 8-11:45 a.m. and 1-4:05 p.m. in Louisiana II, Loews New Orleans Hotel.
- As the market for biopharmaceuticals grow, so does the environmental footprint of their manufacture. The GCIPR Biopharma team has developed a Process Mass Intensity (PMI) tool for biologics and benchmarked environmental impact across companies. Learn more about this study in BIOT 80, “Mining data to improve environmental impact of biomanufacturing,” as well as comparative analysis of different types of manufacturing processes for a monoclonal antibody using PMI at Merck (BIOT 554), and GSK’s analysis of using the Carbon Footprint Calculator as an additional assessment tool at GSK (BIOT 456).
Want to learn how to integrated green chemistry into your ACS Student Chapter? Don’t miss the CHED session, “Green Chemistry Student Chapters: Stories of Success” on Sunday, March 18, 1:30 p.m. at Blaine Kern B, New Orleans Marriott Convention Center.
Join us to congratulate the 56 ACS Student Chapters who are receiving an award for their green chemistry activities at the Student Awards Ceremony on Sunday night.
Learn how you can integrating green chemistry into the curriculum, classroom, lab and student research activities. This CHED day-long session, “Green Chemistry Theory and Practice: Food, Energy, & Water Sustainability,” covers a range of successful examples and initiatives of interest to the community. Drop by Tuesday, March 20, 2018 from 8:30-11:40 a.m. and 1:30-4:45 p.m. in the Blaine Kern B, New Orleans Marriott Convention Center.
The fun never ends! Wednesday evening starts the ENVR session “Green Chemistry & the Environment” full of theoretical and experimental green chemistry research in biocatalysis, chemical engineering, toxicology and more. The session is Wednesday, March 21, 6 p.m. and Thursday, March 22 at 8:30 a.m. in Hall D, Ernst N. Morial Convention Center.
Don’t miss these special lectures:
- ORGN: ACS Award for Affordable Green Chemistry: Symposium in honor of B. Frank Gupton & D. Tyler McQuade on Monday, March 19, 1 p.m., La Nouvelle Orleans Ballroom C, Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
- There are three 2018 ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering Journal Lectureship Award symposia:
- I&EC: Symposium in honor of Fengqi You – Monday, March 19, 1 p.m. in Feliciana East, Loews New Orleans Hotel
- CELL: Symposium in honor of Rafael Luque – Monday, March 19, 8 a.m. in St. Landry, Loews New Orleans Hotel
- CELL: Symposium in honor of Ning Yan – Tuesday, March 20, 8 a.m. in St. Tammany, Loews New Orleans Hotel
Last but not least, be sure to visit ACS GCI in the Expo, Booth #646
- Come by and spin our prize wheel to win green chemistry swag and prizes!
- Learn about the Design Principles of green chemistry and see how you can apply them to our studies, research and work.
- Stop by the ACS store and pick up a green chemistry t-shirt, pint glass, endangered elements poster and more!
- Follow @ACSGCI for live updates. Win prizes! Have fun! Learn more about green chemistry!