ACS offers several mobile applications to the scientific community. Whether or not you’re an ACS member, these apps for your smartphone can help you keep abreast of the latest news and research, communicate with the chemical community, and have some fun along the way.
Where to find it: https://acsnetwork.jive-mobile.com
The ACS Network web-based app allows you to:
- view recent activity on the Network
- filter the activity to view that of your friends or content in which you are mentioned
- update your status
- create discussions
- search for existing content and choose to Like, Follow, Send, or Comment on it.
- find other users and places and see recent content associated with them.
Get the ACS Network app by entering https://acsnetwork.jive-mobile.com in your mobile browser. Bookmark it to your desktop to access whenever you need it. (note: for now, the bookmarhas the Jive logo, but in the future we expect that to change to the ACS logo). The browsing experience is customized for iOS, Android, and Blackberry devices.
Where to find it: www.acs.org/network
Cost: Free app; C&EN issues cost $2.99 each
This free app provides:
- daily news updates from C&EN Online
- access to the weekly issue of C&EN
- analysis and commentary from the CENtral Science blog network
- ability for users to share stories via email, Facebook, and Twitter and to store purchased/downloaded issues to read offline
- the latest chemistry job postings from ACS Careers.
Complete issues of C&EN magazine are available for purchase for $2.99 each. The July 25, 2011, issue comes pre-loaded with the app, and all of the August issues are free . We are working on a mechanism for allowing ACS members to access all issues for no charge beginning in early 2012
Watch our video to learn more about C&EN Mobile!
Digital National Meeting Program
Where to find it: http://denver2011onsite.acs.org/issue/39507
This web-based app is designed to enhance your experience at the ACS National Meeting in Denver, CO. It features active web links for ACS’s National Meeting technical program and the online exhibitor directory, as well as bookmarks for easy navigation. The app allows you to:
- perform keyword searches
- share content on social networks
- download a PDF version of the technical program.
This app is optimized for smart phones and tablets.
ACS Mobile (ACS Publications)
Where to find it: http://itunes.apple.com/app/acs-mobile/id355382930?mt=8 (iPhone) or https://market.android.com/details?id=org.acs.pubs.acsmobile (Android)
The award-winning ACS Mobile app provides readers with a live stream of peer-reviewed research content published across ACS’s portfolio of scholarly research journals, and is augmented by “Latest News” from Chemical and Engineering News (C&EN).
ACS Mobile allows you to:
- Follow the ASAP article lists for a personalized list of journals
- Save abstracts for offline reading
- Search the ACS Publications website
- Read C&EN Latest News
- Share citations via email and social media
- Store abstracts and full-text PDFs (Apple iOS only)
ACS Molecule of the Week (MOTW)
Where to find it: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acs-motw/id365892970?mt=8#
The ACS MOTW app brings one of ACS’s most popular webpages, Molecule of the Week, to the mobile world. A new molecule is added every week. Each entry features:
- scientifically-accurate image of the molecule structure
- clue to guess what the molecule is
- description of each molecule
- link to the molecule’s record in the CAS REGISTRYSM.
ACS MOTW archives the molecules, so you can go back and search them clue-by-clue or in an alphabetized index.
ACS MOTW is currently available in the iTunes App Store, and is coming soon to Android Market.
ACS Local Sections[ER(1]
Where to find it: http://www.widgetbox.com/mobile/app/local-sections
ACS Local Sections is a free app designed for ACS Local Section officers. The app connects to an RSS-feed that provides updates for Local Section officers and their engaged members. It is compatible for iPhone and Android smart phones.
We've found it integrates well with the ACS Network app.
JACS Image Challenge Mobile (ACS Publications)
Where to find it: http://itunes.apple.com/app/jacs-image-challenge-mobile/id508804310?mt=8
JACS Image Challenge Mobile provides readers with fun and educational trivia questions related to recent articles published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, the American Chemical Society’s flagship title. An image from the article accompanies the multiple choice question, and an explanation of the correct answer is provided after the response is submitted.
JACS Image Challenge Mobile offers the following features:
• Track the challenges taken and how many were answered correctly
• Save favorite challenges
• View challenges by subject category
• Download new challenges automatically