Greetings ACS Senior Members,
The Southern Nevada Section of the ACS is seeking Volunteer Science Coaches to partner with local educators for the 2019-2020 school year to advance chemistry education in our community.
Science Coaches is a joint American Chemical Society (ACS) and American Association of Chemistry Teachers (AACT) educational outreach initiative dedicated to enhancing science skills in students across the United States. The program pairs chemists (coaches) with AACT teacher members in elementary, middle, and high schools. Coaches accepted into the program will have the opportunity to form a valuable relationship with a teacher by volunteering face-to-face over the course of a school year.
Examples of coach activities
- Provide advice on real-world applications of lessons, demos, or experiments
- Help develop or enhance lesson plans
- Serve as a science mentor
- Promote inquiry-based learning
- Support classroom-based experiments
- and much more!
Anyone with a chemistry background or expertise is encouraged to apply as a coach. Past coaches include:
- Chemistry professionals
- Chemistry graduate students
- Chemistry professors
- Retired or semi-retired professionals
- Former or retired chemistry teachers
One-on-One partnerships are required to meet face-to-face at least six times per school year.
Applications are due September 1st. Please click on the link below to apply. If you have any further questions, please contact Hokunani Keehu , James J Houts, or Kazumasa L Lindley, also cc'd in the email.
James J. Houts
ACS SN Seniors Committee