IIT JAM 2020: Exam Dates (Out), Eligibility, Syllabus, Pattern, and Preparation
Updated On - July 18th 2019 by SUJATA GAUR
IIT JAM 2020 official notification has been released. This year, the exam will be conducted by IIT Kanpur. IIT JAM is a computer-based exam which is conducted for admission in M.Sc., Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. dual degree programs at the IITs and Integrated Ph.D. degree programs at IISc.
- The exam dates for IIT JAM 2020 has been released on July 11, 2019.
- IIT JAM Application Form will be available from September 5, 2019.
- Candidates have to register themselves through JOAPS to appear in the exam.
- The exam will be conducted for 20 subjects offered by the participating IITs.
Read on to know about the eligibility criteria, syllabus, paper pattern, and other essential details of IIT JAM 2020.
Highlights of IIT JAM 2020
|Exam Name||Indian Institutes of Technology Joint Admission Test for M.Sc|
|Conducting Body||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur|
|Exam Type||National Level|
|Purpose||Admission to M.Sc. (Two Years)|
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree
Other Post-Graduate Degree Programs at IITs
Integrated Ph.D. Degree Programs at IISc
|Duration of Exam||3 hours|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 55% in Bachelor’s Degree – Know more|
|Mode of Application||Online|
IIT JAM 2020 Exam Dates
Given below is the updated schedule for the examination:
|Release of IIT JAM Application Form 2020||September 5, 2019|
|Last date to submit the form||October 8, 2019|
|Availability of Mock Test||1st week of January 2020|
|Issue of IIT JAM Admit card||1st week of January 2020|
|IIT JAM 2020 Exam Date||February 9, 2020|
|Result Declaration||March 20, 2020|
|Score Card Release||March 2020|
|Admission Form Availability||1st week of April 2020|
|Last date of verification of defective documents||May 2020|
|1st admission list released||May 2020|
|2nd admission list released||June 2020|
|Declaration of First Admission List||June 2020|
|Admission process will close on||July 2020|
IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria
The candidates those wish to appear in IIT JAM 2020 exam will have to fulfill JAM Eligibility Criteria given below.
- Nationality: Candidates belongs to Indian nationals and foreign nationals are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Age Limit: There is no age restriction.
- Qualifying Exam: Candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
- Minimum Marks: Candidate passed the qualifying exam with aggregate marks or CGPA/CPI (without rounding-off) with at least 55% or 5.5 out of 10 for General/OBC (NCL) category candidates (50% or 5.0 for SC/ST and PwD category candidates).
- Appearing Candidates: Final year candidates are eligible to apply.
IIT JAM 2020 Application Form
Candidates willing to appear in IIT JAM 2020 can fill the online application form through the official website. IIT JAM 2020 Application Form can be filled from September 5, 2019 and the last date to fill the same is October 8, 2019.
To fill the online application form of JAM 2020, candidates have to register themselves at JAM Online Application Processing System. JOAPS provides an online interface to the candidate for interacting with the JAM Administration. With this interface, a candidate can:
- Apply for the examination online.
- Upload photograph, signature and other documents like category certificate (if applicable), PwD certificate (if applicable), etc.
- Pay the application fee through any of the electronic payment modes
- Check the Status of the application form: Received, Under scrutiny, Accepted, Defect status, Status after rectification, Rejected with valid reasons, Admit card ready for download, etc.
- Download Admit Card
- View your answers, marks and JAM score
- Download JAM scorecard
- Submission of application for Admission
Know about IIT JAM 2020 Registration
The fee can be paid through Net-banking/debit card/credit card. The application fee details are given here:
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|Female (All Categories)/ SC/ST/PwD||INR 750||INR 1050|
|All Others||INR 1500||INR 2100|
IIT JAM Exam Pattern
The paper pattern will be different as per the courses opted by the students. Below given are the highlights of IIT JAM 2020 Exam Pattern.
- Exam Mode: Online i.e. computer-based mode
- Session: Two sessions, i.e. 9 AM to 12 Noon & 2 PM to 5 PM.
- Sections: the questions will be asked in three different patterns such as Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT)
- No. of Papers: Total of seven papers will be organized for JAM exam.
- Duration: Three hours
- Medium: English only
- No. of Questions: Total of 60 questions will be asked in the examination.
- Marks: The question paper will be of 100 marks.
- Negative Marking: There will be negative marking only in Section A.
|Sections||No. of Questions||Marks|
|Section A||30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||50|
|Section B||10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)||20|
|Section C||20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||30|
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020
The syllabus of the exam will be divided as per the subjects & sections. It will comprise of following subject’s topics & chapters, i.e. Biotechnology (BT), Biological Sciences (BL), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GC), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) & Physics (PH). IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus will be prepared by the Institution from 10+2+3 level.
|Biological Sciences (BL)||General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, Mathematical Sciences|
|Biotechnology (BT)||The Biotechnology test paper comprises of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics. The syllabus will be of graduation level|
|Chemistry (CY)||Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry|
|Geology (GG)||Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology|
|Mathematics (MA)||Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of Two Real Variables, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis|
|Mathematical Statistics (MS)||The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics and Statistics. Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Differential Equations, Statistics, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses|
|Physics (PH)||Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics, Simple Oscillators|
Download IIT JAM 2020 Sample Papers
Candidates can click on any of the links provided below to download free sample papers for IIT JAM 2020:
IIT JAM 2020 Admit Card
Successfully registered candidates will be issued their IIT JAM 2020 Admit Card from the first week of January. Candidates have to visit the official website/ JOAPS portal to check and download the document.
- Aspirants will get the admit card through online mode only. It will not be sent by post/email.
- For downloading IIT JAM 2020 Admit Card, candidates need to enter the issued Enrollment ID/Email ID, password, security code, etc.
- If candidates have forgotten their enrollment ID or password, they can recover it through “Forget Enrollment ID or Password” option.
- Keep the hall ticket safe until the admissions are confirmed.
Details on IIT JAM Admit Card
Admit card will contain candidate’s & exam relate details such as:
- Name of Candidate’s
- Registration Number
- Name(s) & Code(s) of Test paper(s)
- Name & Address of Test Center
Note: Check the details given on the admit card properly. In case there is any discrepancy on the admit card, contact the concerned authorities immediately.
IIT JAM Exam Centers
The exam centers of JAM 2020 mentioned in the options are divided as per the eight IIT Zones where the exams will be conducted.
- Candidates are given a chance to choose a maximum of three preferences.
- Here we are providing a list of exam centers for IIT JAM:
|IISc Bangalore||Bengaluru, Hubli, Hyderabad, Kannur, Kozhikode, Mangalore, Palakkad, Trissur|
|IIT Bombay||Ahmedabad, Goa, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nasik, Pune, Vadodara|
|IIT Delhi||Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, New Delhi|
|IIT Guwahati||Asansol-Durgapur, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalyani, Patna, Siliguri|
|IIT Kanpur||Agra, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi|
|IIT Kharagpur||Bhubaneswar, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Ranchi, Vijaywada, Visakhapatnam|
|IIT Madras||Chennai, Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Kollam, Kottayam, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Warangal|
|IIT Roorkee||Dehradun, Jalandhar, Kurukshetra, NOIDA, Mohali, Moradabad, Roorkee|
- After the choice of exam centre is given the system will automatically detect the IIT Zone.
- The same has to be followed for the second and third preference.
IIT JAM Exam Centres 2020 once allotted will not be changed.
IIT JAM 2020 Result
- Candidates will be able to check their results only through online mode from the official website.
- IIT JAM 2020 Result will be declared on March 20, 2020.
- Candidates should download their IIT JAM 2020 scorecard in the last week of March 2020. The organizing Institution will not send any hard copy of the scorecard through offline mode.
- No scorecard will be sent to candidates through offline mode.
- All India Rank (AIR) will be assigned as per the marks obtained in the examination.
- Based on the candidate’s performance in IIT JAM 2020, for each test paper, a separate merit list will be prepared for GEN/ OBC/ SC/ ST/ PWDcandidates.
- Merit list will be based on the number of seats available in each subject and AIR of every candidate.
- Qualified candidates can download their scorecard from April 07 to July 31, 2020.
- The scorecard will contain AIR and marks obtained in the particular subject.
JAM 2020 Admission Procedure
- Candidates, those qualify the examination (whose names appear in the merit list), they will be eligible to appear in IIT JAM Counselling Procedure.
- Candidates have to fill the admission form available in the first week of April 2020 through online mode.
- On the basis of qualified test papers, candidates should apply for one or more academic courses.
- In the admission form, candidates have to fill a choice of courses in order of preference, educational qualifications, the percentage of marks/CGPA, category, PwD status, etc.
- Candidates have to pay INR 600 as an admission fee. The first admission list will be released in the fourth week of May 2020.
- Admission offers will be sent to candidates by their respective institutes.
- The acceptance form must be submitted and an advance seat booking fee of INR 10000 (General/OBC-NCL candidates) and INR 5000 (SC/ST/PWD) must be paid thereafter.
- Second admission list will be published on the website if seats remain vacant. After seat allotment, candidates have to visit the allotted college to complete admission. The fee paid will be adjusted with the institute fee after admission.
- IIT JAM 2020 Third and final admission list will be prepared if seats still remain vacant.
- Qualified candidates who are not allotted a seat in the 1st and 2nd admission round will remain on the waiting list.
- Anyone who does not accept the acceptance offer from the institute will be removed from the admission process.