cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyberguy
New Contributor

Question about acquiring a faculty position after multiple postdocs?

I'm interested in a faculty position at a PhD-granting university. Currently I've done two postdocs. I had to leave the first postdoc (2 yrs) because it was taking too long to publish and my contract wasn't renewed during my second postdoc (1 yr) due to the lack of funding. Unfortunately, both postdocs yielded no 1st-author publications but I have a total of 2-3 publications from them. So my question is what are my odds of acquiring a faculty position if I do a 3rd postdoc and acquire some 1st-author publications? I feel that there are too many strikes against me right now, but at the same time, I'm still very interested weathering another postdoc to expand my skill set, publish, and acquire a faculty position.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Professorsundar
New Contributor

Re: Question about acquiring a faculty position after multiple postdocs?

I don't know in which country you are located, but going for a third pdf hoping for a first-author publication is a long-shot. Any employer would wonder as to why you did not get to publish any paper after three years of post doc tenure. More years would put you in the category of "professional post doc".

0 Kudos
cyberguy
New Contributor

Re: Question about acquiring a faculty position after multiple postdocs?

Thanks for the response. I'm in the US.

0 Kudos