cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdwoman
New Contributor

August temps and efficacy impact on USPS mailed EYE DROPS

HERE IS THE CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF THIS NUTRACEUTICAL: https://oclumed.com/pages/about-us

THESE WERE DELIVERED AUG 5, 2022, AND LEFT ON MY FRONT PORCH IN DIRECT SUN FOR SOME UNKNOWN TIME. MUCH LATER IN DAY I GOT AN EMAIL FROM USPS SAYING DELIVERED @5:04 PM. 

THESE WERE SENT VIA USPS TO MY HOME IN MD. EVEN THOUGH VENDOR PUT ON THE PRIORITY USPS MAILING LABEL: DELIVER PACKAGE TO BACK DOOR OF HOUSE, THE CARRIER LEFT THIS IN DIRECT SUN FOR AN UNKNOWN PERIOD OF TIME. THE INFORMED DELIVERY PLATFORM NEVER SENT ME A DELIVERED EMAIL UNTIL 10 PM, LONG AFTER I FOUND THEM SITTING ON MY FRONT PORCH. QUESTION: HAS THE COMPETENCE AND EFFICACY OF THIS BEEN COMPROMISED. EYE DROPS PACKAGE SAYS:  STORE AT ROOM TEMP: 59-86 DEGREES F. 

IS IT JUST A BAD IDEA TO BUY NUTRACEUTICALS VIA THE MAIL B/C I'VE SPOKEN TO EVEN THE PRIME TRUCK DRIVERS AND THEY SAID THE BACK OF THE TRUCK HAS ZERO AIR CONDITIONING AND OF COURSE GETS REAL HOT. I ALSO PUT DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS INTO MY INFORMED DELIVERY ONLINE USPS ACCOUNT PROFILE TO DELIVER PACKAGE TO BACK DOOR, THIS IS ALWAYS IN THE SHADE, BUT THAT WAS IGNORED ALSO. I WOULD BE GRATEFUL TO LEARN THE IMPACT OF 90+ TEMPS ON THESE EYE DROPS PLEASE. TKS

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lragle
New Contributor II

Re: August temps and efficacy impact on USPS mailed EYE DROPS

I would do two things if I were you. I would contact the manufacturer and ask them for advice. It's a patented or patent-pending material, so they would be the experts on temperature stability. 

If you're willing to open the package, I would test them out on the back of your hand. Do you hear any clumps if you shake the bottle? Does it come out clear? If it's normally a clear solution and it's still clear on the back of your hand, I would say it's probably fine.

Looking at the ingredients, they should be relatively stable in solution. Usually things like shipping are taken into account, even in this crazy heat we've been having this year. 

Good luck!

Lauren E. Ragle, PhD
Chair-Elect | Chemical Society of Washington
Assistant Professor | PBPM Program
The George Washington University
Pronouns: she/her/hers
https://smhs.gwu.edu/postbac-premed/
0 Kudos