cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JGretchen
New Contributor

Biologist wonders what math an analytical chemist does on a daily basis

Hi!

I am a biologist pursuing advanced degrees in chemistry/biochemistry. This is not by accident and I am very invested in making this pivot so that I can study biological systems through a chemical lens. I recently got the opportunity to ask a chemist for advice and she recommended that I beef up my comfort/familiarity with math. Our meeting was brief and I wasn't able to ask her to elaborate.

I have always had a moderate phobia of advanced math. Excepting statistics, I haven't taken a math course since my freshman year of undergrad, which was Integral Calculus. I miraculously managed a B, but I would be lying if I said I remembered anything useful or have consciously applied anything I learned there since then. But it's high time I face my fear and befriend math. I have under a year until I start my PhD, so a comprehensive review of all math relevant to chemistry is beyond my capability, especially as I am finishing up my Master's.

So, I am seeking informed opinions on where I should focus my efforts. Specifically, I am aiming to do work in metabolomics, so analytical chemistry is about to become my best friend. What kind of math does an analytical chemist do on a daily basis? What topics/equations are essential to work in that field or fundamental to understanding how the instruments work/ how the analytes respond to the instruments?

I am not looking to become a mathematician; I just want to know what I need to know so that I can be good at what I do. 

Best & thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Biologist wonders what math an analytical chemist does on a daily basis

I used calculus more in engineering, and it may apply to some biological systems analysis.  The MOST important mathematics for doing good research analysis is statistics!  Also, it is extremely important to understand the limitations of statistics and the many ways in which it is misused and abused in public discourse.  Many undergraduate science curricula spend very little time on statistics. It is often an optional course for a degree program. 

However, whether taking some more time in school, or going back to take individual courses or seminars later in ones career, statistics is really the one specialty application of mathematics that gets the most use after the fundamental functions.

Best regards,

Steven

JGretchen
New Contributor

Thank you! Great to hear, since I am already comfortable with statistics and have done coursework on stats for my degree. 

0 Kudos
DanielaLeia
New Contributor

@JGretchen wrote:

Hi!

I am a biologist pursuing advanced degrees in chemistry/biochemistry. This is not by accident and I am very invested in making this pivot so that I can study biological systems through a chemical lens. I recently got the opportunity to ask a chemist for advice and she recommended that I beef up my comfort/familiarity with math. Our meeting was brief and I wasn't able to ask her to elaborate.

I have always had a moderate Phobias list of advanced math. Excepting statistics, I haven't taken a math course since my freshman year of undergrad, which was Integral Calculus. I miraculously managed a B, but I would be lying if I said I remembered anything useful or have consciously applied anything I learned there since then. But it's high time I face my fear and befriend math. I have under a year until I start my PhD, so a comprehensive review of all math relevant to chemistry is beyond my capability, especially as I am finishing up my Master's.

So, I am seeking informed opinions on where I should focus my efforts. Specifically, I am aiming to do work in metabolomics, so analytical chemistry is about to become my best friend. What kind of math does an analytical chemist do on a daily basis? What topics/equations are essential to work in that field or fundamental to understanding how the instruments work/ how the analytes respond to the instruments?

I am not looking to become a mathematician; I just want to know what I need to know so that I can be good at what I do. 

Best & thanks!

That being said if you're smart enough to do well in chemistry then you should just be a software engineer or data scientist. The pay is better and you don't have to deal with chemical exposure. Synthetic chemists have it especially bad for exposure but you'll be hard pressed to find a lab space without carcinogens (yes even protein labs have this issue) and even if you don't work with it then things will have been liberally smeared across all working surfaces and you'll periodically breath volatiles whether you realize it or not. These days you often are shuttling in and out of lab with a laptop so your family gets to share in whatever is lingering in trace amounts on lab surfaces or on your hands when you were handling it in lab. Gloves and work stations help here but are honestly not used as often as they should be by most people even when available. No surface is safe in a lab when you have coworkers sharing it.

0 Kudos
smith333
New Contributor

An analytical chemist uses math extensively for data analysis, including statistical analysis, calibration of instruments, and interpreting experimental results. They may also use math for calculations involving concentrations, reaction rates, and chemical properties. Additionally, analytical chemists often employ mathematical models to predict outcomes and optimize experimental conditions. Math plays a crucial role in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of their analytical methods and findings. https://lavaloungehouston.com/ catering services, offering delectable cuisine delivered right to you.

0 Kudos
SabrinaC
New Contributor II

In my experience, calculus has been primarily utilized in engineering, with potential applications in analyzing certain biological systems. However, when it comes to conducting thorough research analysis, statistics reigns as the most crucial mathematical tool. It's essential to grasp both the power and the limitations of statistics, considering its frequent misuse in public discourse. Unfortunately, undergraduate science programs often allocate insufficient time to statistics education, sometimes even offering it as an optional course. Whether through extending one's academic tenure or pursuing additional courses and seminars later in one's career, a solid understanding of statistics remains paramount, as it stands as the most utilized specialized application of mathematics beyond fundamental functions. More Information

SabrinaC
New Contributor II

Thank you! That's wonderful news, especially considering my existing proficiency in statistics and previous coursework in the subject for my degree. https://www-mycenturahealth.us/login/

Marcus-kelly
New Contributor II

In my experience, calculus has found primary applications in engineering and potential uses in analyzing specific biological systems. However, when conducting comprehensive research analysis, statistics emerges as the most vital mathematical tool. Understanding both the capabilities and limitations of statistics is crucial, given its frequent misapplication in public discussions. Regrettably, undergraduate science programs often allocate inadequate time to statistics education, occasionally presenting it as an optional course. Whether by extending academic pursuits or participating in additional courses and seminars later in one's career, a robust comprehension of statistics remains essential, representing the most widely employed specialized application of mathematics beyond fundamental functions. Visit now

0 Kudos
taylor146
New Contributor

In the realm of nursing education, mastering the art of academic writing is paramount. From research papers to case studies, nurses are often tasked with communicating complex medical concepts in a clear and concise manner. However, navigating the intricacies of academic writing can be daunting. In this comprehensive guide HUMN 303 Week 5 Assignment Essay Art, we explore the role of nursing paper writing services in enhancing academic writing skills among nursing students, shedding light on how these services contribute to academic success.

Understanding the Challenges of Nursing Paper Writing

Nursing students face unique challenges when it comes to academic writing. These challenges include:

1. Complex Subject Matter:

Nursing encompasses a vast array of topics, from anatomy and physiology to healthcare policies and procedures. Communicating these complex concepts effectively requires not only subject matter expertise but also adeptness in academic writing.

1. Time Constraints:

The demanding nature of nursing education leaves students with limited time to devote to extensive research and writing BHS 440 Topic 4 Community Intervention Case Scenario. Balancing coursework, clinical rotations, and other responsibilities can make it challenging to dedicate sufficient time to crafting well-researched papers.

1. Mastery of Writing Conventions:

Academic writing in nursing requires adherence to specific formatting styles, citation guidelines, and language conventions. Mastery of these writing conventions is essential for producing high-quality papers that meet academic standards.

The Role of Nursing Paper Writing Services

Nursing paper writing services offer invaluable support to students grappling with the challenges of academic writing. Here's how these services enhance academic writing PHI FPX3200 Assessment 1 Matrix of Ethical Theories skills among nursing students:

1. Access to Expert Writers:

Nursing paper writing services employ writers with expertise in nursing and related fields. These writers possess in-depth knowledge of medical terminology, healthcare practices, and academic writing conventions, ensuring the delivery of high-quality, accurate, and well-researched papers.

1. Customized Support:

Nursing paper writing services provide personalized assistance tailored to the unique needs of each student. Whether you require help with research, writing, or editing, these services offer customized solutions to address your specific requirements and preferences.

1. Time Management:

By outsourcing writing tasks to nursing paper writing NURS FPX 4040 Assesment 1 Nursing Informatics in Healthcare services, students can effectively manage their time and alleviate the burden of academic writing. This allows students to focus on other aspects of their education, such as clinical experiences and coursework, without compromising on the quality of their papers.

0 Kudos
jamesalska3435
New Contributor

As an analytical chemist, the mathematics involved in daily tasks can vary depending on the specific area of specialization and the nature of the work being performed. However, here are some common mathematical concepts and calculations that analytical chemists may encounter regularly betflik

1. Statistics: Analytical chemists often use statistical methods to analyze experimental data, assess the reliability of measurements, and draw conclusions from experimental results. 

0 Kudos