cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niazmirza
New Contributor

Chemical structure modification

Let's imagine,

There are 2 molecules which have the same elements and the same number of atoms but the chemical structure is different.

Molecule A= a3b7

Molecule B= a3b7

A is synthesized from source à and B is synthesized from source b'.

A and B has different functions due to their structural difference.

Structurally A= a3-b7

And B= b7-a3

Now the questions are:

1. Will it be possible to convert A to B by the mean of chemical structure modification?

2. Even if it is possible, after structural modification do both A and B will show the same chemical properties and the functions also will be the same?

3.what are the ways of chemical structural modification? (If it is practically possible)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
John_Duchek
New Contributor II

Re: Chemical structure modification

Please understand that you haven't given enough information to work with. There are structural isomers which can be vastly different (n-butane, isobutane, t-butane). There are E and Z geometric isomers around a double bond. (E and Z 2-butanes). There are stereo isomers which have all the same connection, but differ in their orientation in space. These include diastereoisomers (non-mirror images) and enantiomers (mirror images). There are conformational isomers and if rotation is restricted these can be different. One would have to know the specific compounds you are talking about in order to make a statement about what can be easily interconverted. I hope this helps explain things....

0 Kudos
Niazmirza
New Contributor

Hi John. Thank you very much for the explanation.

As you mentioned to be more specific, I would like to know that whether Ursolic acid and testosterone undecanoate can be interchangeable? Both have the same chemical formula C30H48O3 and thus the same molar mass 456.7 g/mol

0 Kudos
Niazmirza
New Contributor

Hi John. Thank you very much for the explanation.

As you mentioned to be more specific, I would like to know that whether Ursolic acid and testosterone undecanoate can be interchangeable? Both have the same chemical formula C30H48O3 and thus the same molar mass 456.7 g/mol

0 Kudos
davidshobe
New Contributor II

You can't convert one isomer to another unless there is a specific reaction or mechanism to do so. Even converting ethanol (CH3CH2OH) to dimethyl ether (CH3OCH3) is a difficult synthesis problem, even though both are simple molecules with formula C2H6O.

So, in general, the answer is no.

0 Kudos
Niazmirza
New Contributor

Yes, I admire that without specific reaction or mechanism it won't be possible. But there are some mechanisms available such as isomerization, reverse isomerization ,chemical structure modification, molecular modification etc. So, with specific reaction or mechanism will it be possible to get testosterone undecanoate from ursolic acid and vice-versa?

0 Kudos