cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heymikey735
New Contributor

Food Grade Plastic

I've had one protein shaker for a while now.  Sometimes (often) after a workout (liquid breakfast) I'll use the classic "soak" method where it sits in soapy water for a couple hours (all day) before I give it the final cleaning.  This works great.  No issues.  10 out of 10 recommend.  But recently I purchased a new shaker, because two shakers means I can wait twice as long before having to do the dishes!  After one use, the new shaker soaked in soapy water overnight, but now it has an overwhelming odor of dish soap and it just won't go away!  So here's my question.  Does the type of plastic each bottle is made with matter?  Are certain plastics more odor resistant/absorbent?  The first shaker is a Blender Bottle Pro24 and says it's #7 plastic.  The website says it's made with "Eastman Tritan plastic."  The second shaker is made by Gomoyo and says it's #5 plastic.  Both say they're BPA free.  Both have the wine glass next to a fork food storage symbol.  The Gomoyo bottle says it's dishwasher safe and DEHP free, while the Blender Bottle does not have those labels.  Blender Bottle also seems to be the more expensive, higher quality brand, while Gomoyo is significantly cheaper and sold mostly in places like Amazon and Walmart.  I'll probably be upgrading to a stainless steel shaker soon, but I'd love to know what's going on with these.  Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KateWinslet
New Contributor

Re: Food Grade Plastic

@heymikey735 LiteBlue USPS wrote:

I've had one protein shaker for a while now.  Sometimes (often) after a workout (liquid breakfast) I'll use the classic "soak" method where it sits in soapy water for a couple hours (all day) before I give it the final cleaning.  This works great.  No issues.  10 out of 10 recommend.  But recently I purchased a new shaker, because two shakers means I can wait twice as long before having to do the dishes!  After one use, the new shaker soaked in soapy water overnight, but now it has an overwhelming odor of dish soap and it just won't go away!  So here's my question.  Does the type of plastic each bottle is made with matter?  Are certain plastics more odor resistant/absorbent?  The first shaker is a Blender Bottle Pro24 and says it's #7 plastic.  The website says it's made with "Eastman Tritan plastic."  The second shaker is made by Gomoyo and says it's #5 plastic.  Both say they're BPA free.  Both have the wine glass next to a fork food storage symbol.  The Gomoyo bottle says it's dishwasher safe and DEHP free, while the Blender Bottle does not have those labels.  Blender Bottle also seems to be the more expensive, higher quality brand, while Gomoyo is significantly cheaper and sold mostly in places like Amazon and Walmart.  I'll probably be upgrading to a stainless steel shaker soon, but I'd love to know what's going on with these.  Thanks in advance!

Yes, the type of plastic affects odor absorption. Tritan plastic (#7) in the Blender Bottle is more resistant to odors than polypropylene (#5) in the Gomoyo shaker, which tends to absorb smells more. The quality of the plastic and the manufacturing process can influence this. Upgrading to a stainless steel shaker can help avoid these odor issues.

0 Kudos