cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RollTideRon
New Contributor

Herbicide contamination

Tenacity Herbicide is a selective pre-emergence and post-emergence herbicide used for the control of weeds in turfgrasses. It contains the active ingredient Mesotrione, which inhibits the enzyme 4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase (HPPD) and prevents photosynthesis in plants. 

My question is this: How long does it take to chemically break down a solution of 1 teaspoon of Tenacity, 2 teaspoons of sufactant (Southern AG) and 2 gallons of water? 

I spot treated my yard, sidewalk and driveway with this using a hand held air pump sprayer. I was covered with long pants, long sleeve shirt, eye protection and a face mask. I removed all clothing before entering my home. My lot is only 1/2 acre and house is 3200 sq ft. My wife immediately had a breathing reaction which she indicated was chemical in nature and had a chemical taste in her mouth. She had anaphylactic reaction and has been isolated to one bedroom for a month now. Every time she comes out she taste a chemical and has difficulty functioning. 

As a follow up does anyone have any advice on whether this amount of chemical is enough to cause these types of reactions and is there any way to mitigate the damage and get rid of what may have entered our home? 

Thank you in advance for reading this lengthy question I tried to be concise but this is a complicated issue and I am looking for experts for help as I am at my wits end trying to help my wife.

v/r

Ron

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Herbicide contamination

There is no real indication that it does "break down" over time. There must be some degradation in its normal activity, but I don't know what an ambient "lifetime" for the compound is. 

You should have her examined/treated by a physician.  Mesotrione is pretty nasty stuff.  Personally, I'm not sure that a "pretty" yard is worth it. Anyway, I have llinked the MSDS to this note.  https://www.redeagleinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Mesotrione_40_SC_SDS_Sep_2021.pdf 

Best regards,

Steven

0 Kudos