cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Min5
New Contributor

Liquid Hydrated Silica

Hi,

I'm trying to work out what exactly is "Hydrated Silica", in reference to the many products used to kill bugs. Type: "hydrated silica and cedar oil" into a search engine and you will see them listed.

These products are a perfectly clear fluid with a light viscosity, safe for the skin and can be consumed, as they are safe for pets. It can be sprayed on humans, home and pets.

When I type "hydrated silica (inert) liquid formula” into a search engine, then I wonder if silicic acid and liquid sodium silicate are the same?

I had some powdered sodium silicate (water glass) sent as well as potassium silicate but I am not sure how to use them. And when I look on YouTube to see how sodium silicate  and silicic acid are made, I’m not sure I would want to spray that on my skin.

What I want to know is how to make or get the hydrated silica in these products.

Here are some references to add to my confusion: 

1.     Hydrated silica - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrated_silica

Hydrated silica is a form of silicon dioxide, which has a variable amount of water in the formula. When dissolved in water it is usually known as silicic acid . It is found in nature, as opal (which has been mined as a gemstone for centuries), and in the cell walls of diatoms .

2.     What is hydrated silica and how is it made? | Avocado Help Center

help.avocadogreenmattress.com/...hydrated-silica-and-how...

Silica is crystalline as it occurs in nature. Sand and obsidian are common forms. The sand is heated with sodium carbonate and dissolved in water to form liquid sodium silicate. The liquid sodium silicate is mixed with acid and precipitated to make hydrated silica, which is an odorless, tasteless white powder.

Please help.

Thanks,

Melinda

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Liquid Hydrated Silica

Dear Melinda,

“Silicas” come in a variety of forms. Hard sand is SiO2. A “silicate” is SiO4, which can combine in different ratios with water to form hydrated silica. “Safe” simply means that it will not directly cause harm in normal contact or use. It doesn’t mean that it can’t be abused or overused in a way that could be detrimental. It has no nutritional value. It also is different from another liquid form of silicon – silicones or polysiloxanes.

They have many uses in personal care products, which sounds like what you are interested in.

https://www.personalcaremagazine.com/story/13149/selecting-the-perfect-silicone-for-your-formulation

For methods of use or formulations in other products you may need to consult with a chemist working in cosmetics. The following is a copy of a previous post that may be useful due to the links provided.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specific Advice for Cosmetics Developers

(from a post to ACS Network by Mike Dowell)

Making cosmetics and selling them are two different things. If you already have a recipe and know how to make it, you may not need www.makingcosmetics.com. This website has standard, well-known, proven recipes for making all kinds of cosmetics. If you sell stuff that you've made by using (or tweaking) these recipes, no one will say "Cease and desist! I've got a patent on this!". You are allowed to make recipes like this. Maybelline and Procter & Gamble will only say "Yeah, we make something similar." Why would a website give away such good stuff? Because if you're making, you probably have to buy ingredients and you'd be interested in the ads. Or the Health Department or Food and Drug Administration has sent you a form asking if you use any lead or arsenic in your cosmetics; you don't of course but how do you fill out this kind of form? Consultants run ads too on this site. You probably don't need consultants yet, but do look at the ads from people who make ingredients.

All of a sudden we're on the selling side of the cosmetics business. Maybe you've made a few batches and sold your product at fairs and markets and want to know if you should have a store, or find someone who will sell your products to department store cosmetics counters. This is a good time to track down local members of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, www.scconline.org. It's all people who work in the industry and share your interests. They know about starting out in business and getting jobs, and they tend to be good, warm-hearted people. You can get a lot of good advice even if it's too early for you to sign up as a member; they've been there. If your business really takes off and you are feeling like Helena Rubenstein or Mme. CJ Walker, then you might want your business to join the trade association where all the cosmetics companies get together. For cosmetics, that would be Personal Care Products Council, www.personalcarecouncil.org. Don't join up until you make your first sale to Macy's, it's expensive! But you can look now to see what they do.

Best regards,

Steven

0 Kudos