cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChemProJ
New Contributor

Mixing acids

I'm looking to find out what reaction if any occurs when the following reagents are combined:

•             60% (w/w) Nitric Acid add to 32% (w/w) Hydrochloric Acid

•             77% (w/w) Sulphuric Acid add to 32% (w/w) Hydrochloric Acid

•             60% (w/w) Nitric Acid add to 77% (w/w) Sulphuric Acid.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hlmark
New Contributor III

Re: Mixing acids

I don't recall anything special about the other acid mixtures, but mixtures of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid have been known since antiquity as Aqua Regia (King's water), which has the property of being able to dissolve gold, which no single acid can do. Wikipedia (look up "aqua regia") has an explanation of the chemistry underlying this unique ability of aqua regia..

0 Kudos
pinschrk
New Contributor II

Nitric acid plus hydrochloric acid (aqua regia) is really nasty stuff. Among other reactions, it generates toxic chlorine gas, three nitrogen oxides, and pressure rise in closed containers. It should only be made and used in well ventilated areas (like a hood) and neutralized before disposal.

0 Kudos
c_dsilva
New Contributor

Concentrated sulphuric acid plus nitric acid is used for the nitration of aromatic compounds via the formation of nitrous acid in situ.

0 Kudos
ChaoticPeach
New Contributor

If you mix nitric acid and sulfuric acid you get a mixed acid that's one of the main ingredients in Nitroglycerin 

Now here's my question, at what ratio would you have to mix all 3 to get explosive chlorine gas that can dissolve platinum? (For DnD I'm a realistic chemist in the campaign so chill CIA)

0 Kudos
Ibn_Nayab
New Contributor

In which purpose we can use the combination of Nitric Acid with Sulphuric Acid?

0 Kudos
Periodichemicals
New Contributor

Selenic acid concentrated solution, warm, dissolves gold! Not only Aqua Regia….

H2SeO4 forms Au2(SeO4)3 a red compound.

0 Kudos