cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proneous
New Contributor

Mixing different powdered ingridients to form...

Hello,

I was wondering, what is the best way to mix several, 3-6 different powdered ingridients, so the resulting formula will give consistent amounts of each ingridient.

Im interested in this because I want to make my own "vitamin" complex, but I want to make a bulk because its tedious to measure miligrams each time I want to mix them, but still, if I mix the bulk how am I suppose to be sure that they were mixed so the ratio of each ingridient will be about the same as if i'd mix them seperatly? is there some process to this?

thank you.

Prone

0 Kudos
6 Replies
membuscado
New Contributor

Re: Mixing different powdered ingridients to form...

If you have a Hobart mixer, you can use this to blend several ingredients homogeneously.  Mix for about 4-5 minutes.  You can use a flat beater.  You have to have substantial amount in the bowl to be able to mix thoroughly.

0 Kudos
robertuit
New Contributor II

Since it's for implied in vivo use, no procedural suggestions. Consider compatibility. Consider acceptable variation/deviation.

0 Kudos
proneous
New Contributor

How substantial? total of 3KG of powdered ingridients is enough?

I have also already considered using a spiral blender, my current most effective method i came with is this:

Stage 1, regrind the whole thing into as fine powder as I can, so there is little deviation between the powders

Stage 2 Mix with a blender of sort, be it spiral, or a hobart.

Stage 3 Homogenizing it further using a vortex blender cup.

thank you for your suggestion,

0 Kudos
proneous
New Contributor

Im sorry but I fail to understand what it is you are implying, I already accepted that there will be some variation, but how big? and why are you refusing to suggest procedural suggestion? what does it have to do with the implied usage? I am trying to MINIMIZE the variation. whats wrong with that?

0 Kudos
membuscado
New Contributor

If all your ingredients are all fine powder, you don't have to mill or grind them.  For some ingredient grinding them will be exposing more surface area for chemical reaction/degration.  Using a Hobart mixer is gentler in blending.  Substantial, meaning the blade can actually mix them well (200-300 grams).

0 Kudos
WayneCook
New Contributor III

There are many ways to blend dry solids.  As mentioned by others, it is critical to know if you need to "mill" or breakdown the particles to a smaller size.  If you just want a uniform mixture of several solids which do not interact,  a ribbon-blender will work.  If you need to breakdown the particles to a smaller size, you will need something more energetic.  On a lab scale, a blender or coffee mill works very well.

With respect to a procedure, measuring the uniformity of a dry solids mixture is difficult.  Most manufacturers will sample the dry mixture at several different places in the container and analyze them separately.  If the analysis of all of the samples is the same (within specifications or statistic limits) you have some confidence that the mixture is uniform.  If not, you will need more blending.

All of this presumes that these components do not interact.  Some solids will agglomerate or absorb moisture forming non-uniform particles.  You will have to determine what works experimentally.

Many equipment manufacturers will gladly help you test you mixture for blending properties.  Their goal is to help you so you will buy their equipment but they can help.  You can find manufacturers on the internet.

Good luck!

0 Kudos