cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llnatashall
New Contributor II

Near IR Spectroscopy

I am an R&D chemist for an adhesives manufacturer. We are moving to purchase an FTIR and am familiar with its applications. We have the option to add on a near IR accessory. I am wondering what types of advantages over the standard IR it would bring and what types of applications it would be used in. I am currently working on waterborne synthetic polymer resins with surfactants and gelatin animal glue products. Any suggestions or info would be helpful.

Thank you

4 Replies
hlmark
New Contributor III

Re: Near IR Spectroscopy

Llnatashall - there are many fine NIR spectrometers on the market, using both FT (e.g. Thermo, Bruker) or dispersive (e.g. Malvern, Unity)  technology. Both types are available with a range of accessories. You should not pre-select the technology to use, as you are doing. Rather, you should talk to manufacturers of both types of instruments, present them with the types of samples you need to analyze and the types of analysis you need. Then let them tell you what they have available to address your analytical needs. Since NIR applications generally involve the use of chemometric data analysis, an important aspect of selecting the manufacturer is the applications support you can expect from each company, although there are also indpendent consultants who can assist you with developing the applications.

Howard

\o/

/_\

llnatashall
New Contributor II

Howard,

Thank you for your insight. Perhaps you misunderstood my question. Actually the FTIR, which we are looking at comes with a diamond atr accessory is necessary for our applications. This particular seller is bundling it with an add on near ir accessory which swaps in and out of the ftir unit. SO basically we are buying the technology we need and this near ir happens to be an "extra" so to speak. Also we are buying the instrument used, so perhaps an independent consultant would be best for us. Do you know a good way in going about finding one of those?

Thank you

0 Kudos
taylorme63
New Contributor

My two cents. NIR was useful in my graduate studies for very low energy electronic transitions for some TM complexes. The data can complement /extend Near IR spectra from most UV/Vis instruments

0 Kudos
hlmark
New Contributor III

Llanatashall - if you contact me by e-mail we can discuss your questions more privately and in some more depth than we can on-line here. My e-mail address is hlmark(at)nearinfrared(dot)com.

Howard

\o/

/_\

0 Kudos