cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaynel
New Contributor

Skin on fingers only turning black using well water with high iron content

I notice when I do the dishes or clean the kitchen or bathroom that my fingers and cuticles and beneath my nails turn black, almost like blackberry staining, except it just seems to be in the skin grooves. I look like a mechanic. Nothing I do makes it go away. This does not seem to happen to anyone else in the family, but maybe no one else cleans like I do. Can anyone help me understand why?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Skin on fingers only turning black using well water with high iron content

I have the same issue! Just tried this & it worked:

1 tablespoon of baking soda

1/2 teaspoon of olive oil

And 2 squeezes of half a lemon

Mix together, rub on nails & the. I soaked them in it for 5 minutes

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I'm having this exact issue. I'd love to know why. Not how to clean it, why the stains happen.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I have been having the same problem. I have a problem with biting the skin off around my nails and spitting it out (I don't eat it). I have been eating less and trying to eat healthier, but whenever I do that my well water turns the skin around my nails black and especially the parts that I have bitten off. I have been searching all over the internet. I read a few things that mentioned vitamin deficiency, mainly B12. So maybe supplementing B vitamins would work. I am going to give it a try. I will update you if it works.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Jody,

Do I assume correctly that you have well water?  If so, you are likely seeing iron oxide or iron/tannin complexes, or possibly iron sulfide.  You may also have manganese in your water doing similar things.

Sometimes iron can come from water pipes, especially if they are connected directly to copper pipes.

The dark metal compounds can form as a result of air contact or oxidation by non-harmful bacteria.  Once the metal-bearing water makes contact with oxygen in the air, the dissolved metals become insoluble as they convert to oxides, tannin complexes, or sulfides.  The resulting particles can be very dark or black.  Iron tannins have been used as black inks in the past.

I would expect weak acids like lemon juice to remove the color.  If your water smells like rotten eggs or sulfur-ish, it also probably contains sulfides.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I have this too, but mostly when washing and peeling veggies or handling food in my kitchen. Happens to nobody else. I would love to know the cause. I do have well water.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I have the same thing happen to me looking for reason why and solution

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey, did the B vitamins work for you? I'm having the same issue, nobody else in my family has the problem. I would really live to know, I feel so dirty even though I just showered ugh. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello! Yes same thing happens to me! I have well water but nobody else in my household experiences the discoloration on my fingers as well as around the gum line of my teeth? Yes I use baking soda and lemon juice to remove but I was wondering if anyone had insight as to why and not how to remove. Thank you

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Wow, this just starting happening to me as well.  My husband is not affected.  Well water smells very metallic and sometimes like sulphur.  I take supplements, he does not,.  Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

0 Kudos