cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itsmeariane
New Contributor

Using isoamyl acetate to add fragrance to wax

Hello,

I am a researcher attempting to formulate a scented wax bait for trapping pests. The pest I work with is attracted to banana scent so I ordered a bottle of liquid isoamyl acetate from fischer. I see that it is highly flammable so my question is, how do I safely add it to hot liquid beeswax? Should I dilute it in water? I can't find any helpful resources on how it is used safely in candy making either. I appreciate any advice you can give!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Using isoamyl acetate to add fragrance to wax

Dear Ariane,

Beeswax itself is flammable. Isoamyl acetate is just a bit easier to ignite. The KEY is to avoid any ignition source, as the fuel (compound) and oxygen parts of the “fire triangle” are already present. NO open flames should be used anywhere in the process! A steam bath or fully contained electric heating element can be used to melt the beeswax. Adding the acetate to the melt will result in some additional acetate vaporization, but the bulk of the liquid should mix into the wax with stirring. Pour into your final form molds before the wax cools below the melting point.

Isoamyl acetate in Beeswax

Beeswax has a relatively low melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F). If beeswax is heated above 85 °C (185 °F) discoloration occurs. The flash point of beeswax is 204.4 °C (400 °F). Density at 15 °C is 958 to 970 kg/m³.

Fire:
Isoamyl acetate Flash point: 25C (77F) (The lowest temperature at which a combustible liquid or solid produces sufficient vapor near its surface to generate an ignitable mixture with air). Autoignition temperature: 360C (680F) Flammable limits in air % by volume: lel: 1.0; uel: 7.5
Explosion:
Above flash point, vapor-air mixtures are explosive within flammable limits noted above. Sealed containers may rupture when heated. Sensitive to static discharge.
Fire Extinguishing Media:
Dry chemical, alcohol foam or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective.

Beeswax has a relatively low melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F). If beeswax is heated above 85 °C (185 °F) discoloration occurs. The flash point of beeswax is 204.4 °C (400 °F). Density at 15 °C is 958 to 970 kg/m³.

Work SAFELY!  Keep the workplace clean and uncluttered.  Remove all other flammable materials from the work area. DO NOT USE an open flame for heating!  Have an appropriate (size and type) fire extinguisher accessible at all times. Wear protective clothing and eye goggles or a full face shield.  Keep the isoamyl acetate containers tightly sealed at all times when not in immediate use.

Best regards,

Steven

itsmeariane
New Contributor

Re: Using isoamyl acetate to add fragrance to wax

Thank you so much! I thought I might be able to add it in directly but then I started second-guessing myself. Better safe than sorry.

This is a great service you all provide. I will be sure to share it with other researchers.