cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackmon
New Contributor

is it dangerous to mix silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide and ammonia @ 0.0880% together then put it in a bottle and seal it ?thank you

is  it dangerous to mix silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide and ammonia @ 0.0880% together then put it in a bottle and seal it ?thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ernielippert
New Contributor II

Re: is it dangerous to mix silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide and ammonia @ 0.0880% together then put it in a bottle and seal it ?thank you

I posted a comment to a similar question but it comment turned out to be in error. It was pointed out that there was no source of carbon. My OOPS! correction never appeared for some reason. I had mistakenly typed fulminate when I should have typed azide. The corrected comment is:

"I would be extremely careful. Many years ago I attempted to prepare mecuric basic bromate by dissolving mecuric oxide in bromic acid followed by neutralizing with ammonium hydroxide. I may have prepared the compound of interest but the resultant crystalline compound was quite shock sensitive and  would explode easily. It is now believed to be, or to have contained, mercury azide. Your recipe is likely to produce silver azide. Because of the concentration stated, you might get away with it but be extremely careful, any dried residue could be explosive. "

0 Kudos