cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leoesch
New Contributor

ph level increase

I am playing with  silver cleaning products. I sent the component list to a friend in Korea ....................

ingredientCAS percent
water7732-18-5 69%
c12-15 Alcohol Ethoxylate68131-39-511%
sodium iminodisucconate144538-83-09%
c11 Alcohol Ethoxylate34398-01-17%
ammonium hydroxide192003-74-04%

He claims the pH is 1.5  and wants it to be 2.0.

What can i change to bring it up to at least 2.0?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
McCone
New Contributor

Re: ph level increase

Take a unit volume [P] of the cleaning product and titrate it to pH 2.0 by using addition of solution [S] of concentration [M] = [A] / [p] , made by dissolving a molar amount [A] of NH4OH into an unit volume [p] of cleaning product.

This way the molar amount [a] of additional NH4OH per unit volume [P] necessary to raise the pH to 2.0 can be calculated using unit volume [s] needed to do this multiplied by concetration [M] = [A] / [p] of solution [S] with minimal alteration to the relative amounts of constituents of the cleaning product.

a = s * M

Adding amount [a] of NH4OH per unit volume [P] of the cleaning product will yield a solution of pH 2.0, while having minimal alteration to the relative amounts of the constituents between the pH 1.5 composition and the composition of pH 2.0 desired can be achieved.

0 Kudos
McCone
New Contributor

Re: ph level increase

This addition of NH4OH is pretty simple and versatile. Additionally, altering of the original composition is minimal.

Finding the optimal concentration [M] for the solution [S] (used to titritrimetrically determine the required molar amount of NH4OH to be added to reach pH 2.0) might require some experimentation.

0 Kudos