cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zxcvbnm
New Contributor II

trimethylglycine (betaine anhydrous) in solution

Hello all thinkers and explorers, the world needs more of you! I am curious about a substance called betaine. It is used as a supplement and as a medicine. A company called Anovo markets it as a drug called Cystadane. Their website instructs patients to mix the powder in a liquid and then consume immediately. Out of curiosity, I am wondering why it should be consumed immediately. Would standing in solution cause some change in the betaine? I don't have a strong science background and don't know how to begin to puzzle this out. Any hints or resources you could point me to would be much appreciated!

BTW, would you like to know a bit about betaine? It was first discovered in sugar beets, which is how it got its name. Since then it has been discovered in some other plants, as have other similar compounds also sometimes called betaines (or betalians). These substances are found especially in many plants from the order Caryophyllales, which includes some edible plants such as beets, amaranth, summer purslane (Portulaca oleracea), Basella alba (vinespinach), and Anredera cordifolia. Plus it has been discovered that our bodies manufacture betaine from choline--you can read about that on the Linus Pauling Institute webpage about choline.

Thank you for your time and all the work you do!!!

0 Kudos