cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mesoplodon1357
New Contributor

Cobalt

Several websites have indicated that a specially designed organic molecule, combined with cobalt, can neutralize oxygen. Can anyone identify and describ for me this specially designed molecule?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
alexcareyhales
New Contributor

Re: Cobalt

@Mesoplodon1357locksmith wrote:

Several websites have indicated that a specially designed organic molecule, combined with cobalt, can neutralize oxygen. Can anyone identify and describe for me this specially designed molecule?

The molecule you're referring to is likely a cobalt porphyrin complex. These complexes are inspired by natural systems like hemoglobin and vitamin B12, which use porphyrin rings with a central metal ion (like iron or cobalt) to bind and neutralize oxygen.

In the case of the cobalt porphyrin complex, the porphyrin ring is an organic molecule that coordinates with a cobalt ion at its center. This structure allows the cobalt ion to interact with oxygen molecules, facilitating their reduction or neutralization. The design of these molecules can be fine-tuned for specific applications, such as catalysis, oxygen transport, or even in artificial photosynthesis systems.

The ability of the cobalt porphyrin complex to neutralize oxygen stems from its ability to undergo redox reactions, where the cobalt ion changes its oxidation state, effectively capturing and converting reactive oxygen species into less harmful forms.

0 Kudos
Austin32334
New Contributor

Re: Cobalt

@Mesoplodon1357 wrote:

Several websites have indicated that a specially designed organic molecule, combined with cobalt, can neutralize oxygen. Can anyone identify and describ for me this specially designed molecule?

Is this organic molecule and cobalt combination patented or protected by intellectual property rights?

0 Kudos