cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aubreygb
New Contributor

How might mermaids make heat and/or light under [ocean] water?

I am not a chemist, but a worldbuilder. I use worldbuilding so that I am forced to ask questions and learn about our very real and very complicated world. I like mermaids, too, so here we are. My latest question is:

How might mermaids make heat and/or light under ocean water?

Ideally, this is a reaction that could happen organically; primitive mermaids could come by this in nature or, at the very least, discover it themselves.

Feel free to skew the composition of the water, sediment, anything. Also feel free to tell me it isn't realistic.

If you have any other notes or want to point me in a better direction,,,,, please do. I want all the information I can get. Also let me know of any resources!

Thank you 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: How might mermaids make heat and/or light under [ocean] water?

@aubreygb wrote:

I am not a chemist, but a worldbuilder. I use worldbuilding so that I am forced to ask questions and learn about our very real and very complicated world. I like mermaids, too, so here we are. My latest question is:

How might mermaids make heat and/or light under ocean water?

Ideally, this is a reaction that could happen organically; primitive mermaids could come by this in nature or, at the very least, discover it themselves.

Feel free to skew the composition of the water, sediment, anything. Also feel free to tell me it isn't realistic.

If you have any other notes or want to point me in a better direction,,,,, please do. I want all the information I can get. Also let me know of any resources!

Thank you 🙂

Hello, @aubreygb 

What a fascinating question! In the realm of worldbuilding, mermaids could potentially harness bioluminescence to produce light underwater. Bioluminescence is a natural form of light production that is not only widespread in marine environments but also quite enchanting.

Here’s how it could work for your mermaids:

Bioluminescence:

Chemical Reaction: Mermaids could have specialized cells or organs that contain luciferin, a light-emitting molecule. When luciferin reacts with oxygen, it produces light. The reaction is typically catalyzed by an enzyme called luciferase.

Control: Mermaids might control this light production for communication, attracting mates, or even luring prey. They could activate the light organically, as needed, perhaps with a neurological signal or a chemical trigger.

Color and Intensity: Different species emit different colors of bioluminescent light, so mermaids could potentially glow in a variety of hues, depending on the specific luciferins they possess. They might even be able to adjust the intensity and color of their glow.

Heat Production:

While bioluminescence doesn’t produce significant heat, mermaids could utilize geothermal vents on the ocean floor for warmth. These vents release heat from the Earth’s interior and are natural underwater heat sources.

Alternatively, mermaids could have a biological process similar to thermogenesis (heat production in organisms), perhaps through a specialized metabolism or symbiotic bacteria that generate heat as a byproduct of their activity.

For a more fantastical twist:

Water Composition: You could imagine a scenario where the water in your mermaid’s world is rich in certain chemicals that react exothermically (releasing heat) when triggered by an organic catalyst produced by the mermaids.
Sediment Interaction: Mermaids might discover minerals in the sediment that, when struck together or combined with organic compounds, create heat and light, much like striking flint and steel.

I hope my suggestion is helpful for you.

Best Regard,
patrick521

0 Kudos