cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
russellpitts
New Contributor

Need help creating chemical formula for patent

Jump to solution

I have an product idea I would like to patent, but I lack the proper chemical knowledge to write out my chemical formula. I also need help finding a chemist who could potentially create the first prototype of said product in a food lab in the Southern Los Angeles area. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SuperMIK
New Contributor II

Re: Need help creating chemical formula for patent

Jump to solution

It would probably benefit you to talk with a patent agent/attorney prior to discussing your formula with another party.  You can also get a non-disclosure agreement in place with anyone you work with.  Otherwise you may lose protection for your formula.

The USPTO has information for inventors.

https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/inventors-entrepreneurs-resources

There should be a local Intellectual Property organization that may have someone who can help you at a reasonable price.

LAIPLA - Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association

It's like hiring a plumber, call around, get three quotes, least expensive isn't always the best.  Having a well written summary with an abstract, materials and methods (your best guess) and a description of what your invention is and does will help reduce the costs and difficulties in describing your invention.  Best of luck on your endeavor.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SuperMIK
New Contributor II

Re: Need help creating chemical formula for patent

Jump to solution

It would probably benefit you to talk with a patent agent/attorney prior to discussing your formula with another party.  You can also get a non-disclosure agreement in place with anyone you work with.  Otherwise you may lose protection for your formula.

The USPTO has information for inventors.

https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/inventors-entrepreneurs-resources

There should be a local Intellectual Property organization that may have someone who can help you at a reasonable price.

LAIPLA - Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association

It's like hiring a plumber, call around, get three quotes, least expensive isn't always the best.  Having a well written summary with an abstract, materials and methods (your best guess) and a description of what your invention is and does will help reduce the costs and difficulties in describing your invention.  Best of luck on your endeavor.