I would like to welcome Danielle Dennie as the new CINF webmaster. Danielle has been working on a new design for the CINF website which we hope to unveil later in January. The transfer of content from the old website to the new website is likely to require some time so please be patient as we go through this transition.
Chair, CINF Communications and Publications Committee
I'm happy to be able to tell you that the new CINF website is live at http://www.acscinf.org/ - excellent job Danielle!
Danielle will explain in detail some of the compromises that we have had to make to get the website live so quickly. We now need you to look at the website and to provide updates to Danielle. Also if anything is not working as it should we need to know as soon as possible.
Nice job Danielle. I haven't discovered any of the "compromises" yet.
By coincidence I visited the site today before Bill posted his message. I was actually fighting the ACS Network (I'm sorry - it is a fight) and I was therefore a bit confused by the strange Web site (but not displeased). I was trying to find the Boston abstracts and could not find them, perhaps because I am incompetent or perhaps because everything was not finished at that time. Anyway, I just looked again and found the abstracts with no difficulty. Unfortunately they are the abstracts without email addresses (as in the CIB) not the ones that Rajarshi sent in an earlier discussion.
Danielle probably did not know about this issue - she problay took the abstracts from the CIB or previous Web site. Rajarshi does not know why the email addresses were stripped out for Boston; this never happened in the past.
As new webmaster, ideally, I would have liked to survey or talk with members of CINF to ask you how you use the site and what you would like to see in a new site. This would have meant that I would have kept the old site while gathering data that could be used to create the new site. Unfortunately, because of my limited knowledge of the software that was used to create the old site, I could not make any edits to it. Which means that if there were any updates to be made to the old site before a new site could be built, I would not have been able to make them.
Therefore, I quickly designed a new template that I could work with. To make it easy for myself, and for users of the site, I kept the same logical organization that was on the old site. This means that the menu on the left hand side is practically (with minor exceptions) the same as the old menu, as well as the organization of the secondary pages.
That being said, I was not able to transfer over all content. Specifically, there are 3 sections that I could not transfer:
Further more, there are a couple of links in the left hand menu that I did not add to the new site. If these are needed, please let me know and I will add them:
Otherwise, I went through every section of the old site, and recoded each page that I came across to fit the new template. If there were files on the old site that were orphan pages (i.e. not linked to from any other page), these files were unfortunately probably not transfered over. I hope I did not miss anything too important. If you notice anything glaring, please let me know.
Also, in some instances, I noticed some links that did not work. I usually could not find the pages that these links referred to. Most specifically:
Finally, I am waiting to update committee memberships. This should be done by the end of the week.
Overall, there are still some little tweaks that I need to bring to the site, but the bulk of the work is completed. I look forward to working with everyone to make the site as user-friendly as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.