cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_Town
New Contributor III

Update on the ACS CINF Division website

I would like to welcome Danielle Dennie as the new CINF webmaster. Danielle has been working on a new design for the CINF website which we hope to unveil later in January. The transfer of content from the old website to the new website is likely to require some time so please be patient as we go through this transition.

Bill Town

Chair, CINF Communications and Publications Committee

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
32 Replies
WendyAnneWarr
New Contributor

Re: Update on the ACS CINF Division website

Welcome on board Danielle!  We look forward to working with you. Wendy Warr (Fundraising and Awards and JCIM editor)

0 Kudos
dend01
New Contributor III

Thank you! I definietly look forward to working with everyone.

Cheers,

Danielle.

0 Kudos
Bill_Town
New Contributor III

I'm happy to be able to tell you that the new CINF website is live at http://www.acscinf.org/ - excellent job Danielle!

Danielle will explain in detail some of the compromises that we have had to make to get the website live so quickly. We now need you to look at the website and to provide updates to Danielle. Also if anything is not working as it should we need to know as soon as possible.

Bill

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Danielle & Bill,

Congratulations for new CINF web site! Communications and Publications sure has been busy this past year -:)

Erja

0 Kudos
WendyAnneWarr
New Contributor

Nice job Danielle. I haven't discovered any of the "compromises" yet.

By coincidence I visited the site today before Bill posted his message. I was actually fighting the ACS Network (I'm sorry - it is a fight) and I was therefore a bit confused by the strange Web site (but not displeased). I was trying to find the Boston abstracts and could not find them, perhaps because I am incompetent or perhaps because everything was not finished at that time. Anyway, I just looked again and found the abstracts with no difficulty. Unfortunately they are the abstracts without email addresses (as in the CIB) not the ones that Rajarshi sent in an earlier discussion.

Danielle probably did not know about this issue - she problay took the abstracts from the CIB or previous Web site. Rajarshi does not know why the email addresses were stripped out for Boston;  this never happened in the past.

Wendy

0 Kudos
WendyAnneWarr
New Contributor

BTW, can we have the full abstracts when the Anaheim program goes live? Wendy 

0 Kudos
dend01
New Contributor III

Dear all,

As new webmaster, ideally, I would have liked to survey or talk with members of CINF to ask you how you use the site and what you would like to see in a new site. This would have meant that I would have kept the old site while gathering data that could be used to create the new site. Unfortunately, because of my limited knowledge of the software that was used to create the old site, I could not make any edits to it. Which means that if there were any updates to be made to the old site before a new site could be built, I would not have been able to make them.

Therefore, I quickly designed a new template that I could work with. To make it easy for myself, and for users of the site, I kept the same logical organization that was on the old site. This means that the menu on the left hand side is practically (with minor exceptions) the same as the old menu, as well as the organization of the secondary pages.

That being said, I was not able to transfer over all content. Specifically, there are 3 sections that I could not transfer:

1. Because the old site used a database to generate past meetings information, I have not, for the moment transfered over the tremedous amount of content that was in that section of the site. Therefore, I simply link to it from the new site. (http://acscinf.org/meetings/past.php).
  2. I did not transfer over volume 62 of the e-CIB newsletter (http://acscinf.org/publications/bulletin.php). However, for the upcoming e-CIB, I will create a new template. Perhaps once a new template is agreed upon, I will be able to transfer over volume 62.
  3. The CINF electronic newsletter has not, as yet, been transfered to the new template (again, because of the tremendous amount of content). A link was made to the individual newsletters on the old site. (http://acscinf.org/publications/enews.php).

Further more, there are a couple of links in the left hand menu that I did not add to the new site. If these are needed, please let me know and I will add them:

1. Surveys
  2. Metrics
  3. Disclaimers

Otherwise, I went through every section of the old site, and recoded each page that I came across to fit the new template. If there were files on the old site that were orphan pages (i.e. not linked to from any other page), these files were unfortunately probably not transfered over. I hope I did not miss anything too important. If you notice anything glaring, please let me know.

Also, in some instances, I noticed some links that did not work. I usually could not find the pages that these links referred to. Most specifically:

1. On the Audit committee page, the reports were missing (http://www.acscinf.org/committees/audit.php)
  2. On the career resources page, the symposia links are not working (http://www.acscinf.org/committees/careers/resources.php#acs)

Finally, I am waiting to update committee memberships. This should be done by the end of the week.

Overall, there are still some little tweaks that I need to bring to the site, but the bulk of the work is completed. I look forward to working with everyone to make the site as user-friendly as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

Danielle.

0 Kudos
WendyAnneWarr
New Contributor

Oops – I spoke too soon. I am obviously looking at the old site for meetings. Thanks for this information, Danielle. Wendy

0 Kudos
rajarshig2000
New Contributor

Very slick! Nice job, Danielle

0 Kudos