October 19, 2023 East Texas Local Section Meeting

Date: Thursday, October 19
Time: 6:30pm
Tyler Junior College
Tyler, TX

Health Benefits of a Plant Based Diet
Dr. Katie Root
The University of Texas at Tyler Health Science Center
My presentation is about the health benefits of a plant-based diet. I plan to review the spectrum of plant-based diets and define the terminology of these different diets. We will discuss the multiple proven health benefits of a plant-based diet, including those related to cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, and cancer. I will discuss the impact of the gut microbiota and dietary intake on chronic disease. Finally, we will discuss ways to implement a plant-based diet.

Speaker Bio
I was born and raised in Tyler, TX, graduating from Chapel Hill High School. I received a Bachelor of Science in Forensic Science from Baylor University. I then worked at the UT Health Science Center in a biomedical research lab for a year before going to Ross University School of Medicine. I then completed my residency in internal medicine at LSU in Shreveport. I began practicing in primary care at ETMC in 2013. I then received a board certification from the American Board of Obesity Medicine. I later transitioned to the UT Health
Science Center and became the associate program director for the internal medicine residency program in 2020. I went into full-time academics in 2021 and obtained my Master’s of Health Administration at UT Tyler in December 2021. I am now also the program director for the UT Tyler Transitional Year residency
program.