cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
afleshman
New Contributor

History of Chemistry Poster Series?

Is anyone aware of a series or set of posters/art that depicts the history of chemistry or chemists? I am a professor at a small liberal arts college and would like to decorate a hallway leading to the general chemistry lab classroom. My online searching has only resulted in periodic tables. I have seen a series that highlights Nobel work in physics and would like something similar for chemistry, but am not sure if it exists. Any help is appreciated.

Tags (3)
11 Replies
dorland
New Contributor

Re: History of Chemistry Poster Series?

Try the Chemical Heritage Foundation. If they don't have anything, I'm sure someone there can help you. Homepage of the Chemical Heritage Foundation | Chemical Heritage Foundation

0 Kudos
slh657
New Contributor

0 Kudos
jclark_001
New Contributor II

I think a good way to put it together would be, as a start, to show the basic alchemy principles discovered by the Chinese in the B.C.E period, then  as the line continues you work your way up to modern age. I scoured briefly the internet and a few encyclopedias, and found interesting ideas and will continue to look to post to this thread.

0 Kudos
bjmyers
New Contributor

I am unaware of any Historical posters, but you might find these other chemistry poster resources interesting:

Compound Interest

Top Pharmaceuticals Poster | Njarðarson Group

DISEASE FOCUSED PHARMACEUTICAL POSTERS | Njarðarson Group

The last two links, require you to contact the author (Jon) to get the hi-res copies of the posters.

Have you contacted anyone in the HIST division regarding your question?@

0 Kudos
scooke
Contributor III

This sounds like a very interesting project!  The first link below has a version with pictures.  The second one is a more extensive timeline, but you'd have to look for your own graphics.  At least it is already laid out as a history, and you can fill in the rest.

https://www.sutori.com/story/timeline-history-of-chemistry--D9rK8DFWuFvTZd77LM4KCx9s 

Chemistry Timeline: Chronology of Major Events 

"History" is always a bit tricky when trying to decide what were the really significant milestones in the development of our current chemical knowledge.  Everyone has their own favorites or highlights.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
chemgoode
New Contributor

Have you considered turning this into a project for you General Chemistry classes?  It could be a fun and educational addition to the course that provides a different mode of learning for your students.  It may be one of those rare projects that you could integrate across disciplines working with someone from your college's history department as well.

0 Kudos
hansonja
New Contributor II

You can also search on art sites like Society6.com or threadless.com  

There are thousands of artists just posting art there that can be bought as posters - someone may have done it already.

0 Kudos
kyanghshsl
New Contributor

This History of Chemistry poster by elesapiens.com is nicely laid out,

but you need to create an account on the official site

https://www.elesapiens.com/educational-contents/info-resource/222/chemistry-history  

to download the free resource.

0 Kudos
sheilars
New Contributor

BIOSS chemical company has some nice magnets with famous scientists.  They might have posters as well.  Rachel Ignotofsky has a series of Women in Science posters.

0 Kudos