cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acarter5251
New Contributor

M.S. or PhD for Medicinal Chemistry?

I am currently working on my Bachelor's degree in Biochemistry and am starting to look into graduate school. I hope to enter the field of medicinal chemistry in the future and was wondering which degree would be better for entering this field in the long run in terms of job opportunities, a M.S. or PhD?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kshivakumar78
New Contributor

Re: M.S. or PhD for Medicinal Chemistry?

For long run PhD !!!

0 Kudos
nvasumat
New Contributor

I suggest you to get in to Ph. D. program. Then you will be able to gain more experience as a post doc. while you are searching for a job either in academic or industry.

Nalacs
New Contributor

hi I am also a chemistry major along with physics................in the looong run PhD is best!

0 Kudos
yatsergioship
New Contributor III

Good  day,  NALINIE  RAMNARAINE.                                                                                                             I  think,  that  Nanotechnology  /New  IP  of  Nano/  give  new  opportunity  for  development  to  the   Medicinal  Chemistry.  On  LinkedIn - Sergey  Yatsenko,  Ph.  D ,  IndepNanoProf.                                                                    Best  Regards,  Sergey .

0 Kudos
Joshkurutz
Contributor II

I suggest you ask current medicinal chemists and scope out the different available jobs on sites like Indeed, CareeerBuilder, and HealthcareJobsite.com. A PhD/postdoc gives you more training, but can limit your choices severely. Further, the long delay to your first good-paying job may negate the benefit of the higher PhD starting salary. The answer isn't obvious, and takes great care to develop for yourself. (disclosure: I'm a PhD in Biophysics with 14 yrs after, and I'm seeing a LOT of smart PhD organic chemists not getting jobs they want, if at all)

0 Kudos
yatsergioship
New Contributor III

Good  day,  Josh  Kurutz.                                                                                                   I  agree  with  your  position.  Ph. D  give  new  opportunity  for  business  application.            My  knowledge  of  Nanotechnology  /New  IP  of  Nano/  permit  to  say,  that  Nanotechnology  / New  IP  of  Nano/  can  give  the  needful  nanotechnology  for  any  company   / new  opportunity  to  SME's  for  development  in  the  World/. 

0 Kudos