cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtouzani
New Contributor

Why students are interested more to physics and biology than chemistry???

Why student are interested to physics and biology than chemistry???

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
rtouzani
New Contributor

Re: Why students are interested more to physics and biology than chemistry???

Because of the jobless in chemistry than physics and biology

0 Kudos
radobozov
New Contributor III

Dear Rachid,

Chemistry is a creative discipline that requires understanding of resonance theory through atomic theory in order to create compounds that are sellable. However, many compounds are "disliked" by organisms and careful consideration must be taken into deciding how chemistry interferes with biology and physics. I think that the future is getting chemists into catalytic mechanisms that produce green technologies and physical biology has to come into play in order to push for such technologies. 

0 Kudos
rtouzani
New Contributor

Thanks a lot for your kind response

Dr. Rachid TOUZANIVisiting ScholarRutgers University/Chemistry Department610 Taylor RoadPiscataway, NJ 08854Tel : 732- 445-5882 

--- En date de : Ven 27.8.10, Radoslav Bozov <communities@acs.org> a écrit :

De: Radoslav Bozov <communities@acs.org>

Objet: New ACS Network message: "Why students are interested more to physics and biology than chemistry???"

À: "Rachid Touzani" <touzanir@yahoo.fr>

Date: Vendredi 27 août 2010, 21h11

ACS Network

Why students are interested more to physics and biology than chemistry???

reply from Radoslav Bozov in Education - View the full discussion

Dear Rachid, Chemistry is a creative discipline that requires understanding of resonance theory through atomic theory in order to create compounds that are sellable. However, many compounds are "disliked" by organisms and careful consideration must be taken into deciding how chemistry interferes with biology and physics. I think that the future is getting chemists into catalytic mechanisms that produce green technologies and physical biology has to come into play in order to push for such technologies. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on ACS Network

Start a new discussion in Education at ACS Network

0 Kudos
gekidman
New Contributor

Where's the data? I think there is bias that is profound. Could I be out of date?  Last I checked the American Chemical Society was the largest scientific organization in the world. That not to say that both physics and biology are not interesting. In fact, in a way I agree that students will prefer a degree in biology.  I got my majors degrees in microbiology with minors in chemistry, biochemistry and chemical engineering.  The interesting problems are biological and at the chemical level but the critical tools use chemistry and physics. So naturally I associate with ACS.  It would be interesting to know what percentage of all scientific professionals have a minor in some form of chemistry.

0 Kudos
radobozov
New Contributor III

Understanding basic principles in biology requires understanding basic principles in chemistry. Understanding physics is a requirement for following chemistry, but properties in biology are difficult to be bend through classic physics although is relative to the  space we look at. Quantum physics in biology is future way of predicitng biological phenomena.

0 Kudos
kmccue
New Contributor III

In 2007-08, there were 3,860 Physics, 11,600 Chemistry. and 54,400 Biology Bachelor's Degrees awarded at institutions measured by NCES. This isn't the total number but it is good for comparison.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d09/tables/dt09_314.asp

It was also a record year for graduates from ACS-Approved Chemistry Programs.

http://portal.acs.org/portal/PublicWebSite/about/governance/committees/training/reports/degreesrepor...

0 Kudos