cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joe_Sabol
New Contributor III

"Chemistry Education: The Case for Business Skills" at ACS 243nm San Diego

PROF, CEPA, and SCHB are organizing the symposium "Chemistry Education: The Case for Business Skills" at ACS 243nm San Diego.  If you have suggestions for speakers or questions on the direction of the symposium, please contact the organizers Chris Bannochie (PROF), Lisa Balbes (CEPA), and Joe Sabol (SCHB).

If you are interested in career development for scientists, I suggest you read the following just-published research article, available, open-access, at CBE-Life Sciences Education: http://www.lifescied.org/content/10/3/239.full.pdf+html

The data showed that students’ career preferences change strikingly during the first 2-3 years of graduate school, and that by the 3rd year, 33% of UCSF graduate students would choose a non-research career path.  Altogether, their data provides further evidence that graduate institutions’ curricula should place a stronger emphasis on career planning and career development, and that such initiatives target early (not solely late-stage) graduate students.

The journal cover sums it up quite well: http://www.lifescied.org/content/10/3.cover-expansion

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

Re: "Chemistry Education: The Case for Business Skills" at ACS 243nm San Diego

The Division of Chemical Information has long fostered and supported chemists who have migrated into several non-laboratory careers.  We also provide and assistance to professors and teachers for mentoring on all careers in chemistry plus links to information on alternative careers.  I hope that several CINF members will be able to participate in this symposium.  In addition, Lisa Balbes, one of the organizers, should also make a presentation.  I'll not be able to attend this meeting but I can provide material on the resources I use and have prepared for career mentoring.

0 Kudos
Joe_Sabol
New Contributor III

Robert,

This session (PROF) was recorded and, if motivated, you can view the slides and audio in a few weeks - link on the ACS website.  We heard five good speakers tell about programs to get more *practical* business skills into the hands of STEM students. Not theoretical MBA stuff, but practical stuff.

Joe

ps, I saw your letter to the C&EN editor a month ago (actually read on the flight to San Diego.) I agree! We have and/or need to have opinions and ACS should have positions, too.  Did you know that the ACS position statements include "Supports access to affordable, quality health care for all Americans and sets out broad principles intended to guide policy on our current health care options."  What a radical idea!

0 Kudos
bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

Joe:

Thanks for the note. I’ll check out the program when available.

Thanks for liking my letter. However, some still don’t get it. Check out the 2nd letter in the March 26 issue under “Low ACS Voter Turnout”. The writer says the “presidency of ACS means little to many of us”. His solution, make the Executive Director and the C&EN Editor elective. I read this as a veiled gripe at the positions taken by Rudy (and Madeline). I responded online to that one and also to “Why Aspire to Science”, a gripe by a mother of a 2011 chem grad who can’t find a job. She also gripes about Pres. Obama “throwing more money on science education.” My response was that a chemistry degree enables a wide variety of jobs and careers, not just lab and professorship.

-- Bob Buntrock

PS: I still prefer e-mail, hope this goes through.

Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:07 PM

To: Robert Buntrock

Subject: ACS Network - - "Chemistry Education: The Case for Business Skills" at ACS 243nm San Diego

"Chemistry Education: The Case for Business Skills" at ACS 243nm San Diego

created by Joseph Sabol in Higher Education - View the full discussion

0 Kudos