cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Chemical reactions occuring during microwave cooking

Does any one knows good references where possible reactions between diverse types of phytochemicals and other vegetable components react with each other, or decompose to other products, during microwave cooking.are stdied. I am sure many novel reactions are taking place there, but no one cares about them. Since this cooking method is different from all others used till recently by human civilisation, and nutrition and phytochemicals play important roles in maintaing health, some one has to take initiatives to understand atleast the ABCs of the microwave chemistry of vitamins and other edible phytochemicals. To my judgement, just knowing which one of them are lost, or presevered, during such cooking is not a very logical way to understand food chemistry. comments from younger chemists will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JianHe
New Contributor

Re: Chemical reactions occuring during microwave cooking

It is also a topic that I am very interested in. If you can recieve any reply, please foward to my email-box:hej2@muohio.edu.

Thanks very much!

Happy new year!

0 Kudos
yatsergioship
New Contributor III

Good day, Jian He. Happy new year! About chemical reactions in microwave I can to give fulll answer , but what reason of your interest for microwave process?

0 Kudos
JianHe
New Contributor

Hi Sergey YATSENKO,

Thanks for your information. I come from China, the problems of food are very serious in my country, and many foods are made from awful conditions, even for the fundamental foods such as rice, flour, oil, milk etc. are renewed or added all kinds of additives, which are very harmful to health. The customers know a little about them but they don't know the real reasons and they have no choice at all. The illness are also pretty serious in China especially during these years, so I decided to collect some materials, especially the literatures published in research journals, to tell them the truth from scientific research, not only to tell them good or bad. I have collected many materials from China, but no enough research papers.

The other topic is about the habits of cook, I'd like to know the side effect of the some methods of cooking, such as microwave, roast, fry, using aluminum container and so on, I'd like to collect the real research data, so that I can promote or recommend the healthy methods of cook or cuisine.

I came to USA on Sep. 2009 and my postdoctoral research work is about organic materials for electronics, but I am still interested in Chemistry education, especially the health education from Chemistry scientist. The first year I was pretty busy, and I had to improve my English level at first, so from now on I am trying to continue to do something for my interested.

I wonder if you had do some research about the reaction under microwave, especially the biochemistry reactions. anyway I will very appreciate your information. I am also care about gene-modified food,too.

Thanks and best wishes!

Jian He

0 Kudos
BryanBalazs
Contributor II

One place to start is to under "Microwave Oven" at  http://www.wikipedia.org/  and the references therein.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
JianHe
New Contributor

Thanks very much! I can find some papers from several databses, but I couldn't download the "chapter".

I also wonder if you have summary or reviews about the topic.

ACS papers about microwave heating food:

1. Critical Factors in Microwave-Generated Aromas
Schiffmann, Robert F.
Thermally Generated Flavors. November 30, 1993, 386-394
2. Flavor and Flavorings in Microwave Foods
van Eijk, Tony
Thermally Generated Flavors. November 30, 1993, 395-404
3. Influence of Microwave Heating on Flavor
Steinke, James A. ; Frick, Christine M. ; Gallagher, Jo A. ; Strassburger, Kenneth J.
Thermal Generation of Aromas. October 3, 1989, 519-525
4. Relationship Between Aroma Compounds' Partitioning Constants and Release During Microwave Heating
Roberts, Deborah D. ; Pollien, Philippe
Flavor Analysis. September 10, 1998, 61-68
5. Application of New Microwave Reactors for Food and Flavor Research
Strauss, Christopher R. ; Trainor, Robert W.
Biotechnology for Improved Foods and Flavors. August 13, 1996, 272-281
6. Application of a Poly(tetrafluoroethylene) Single-Sided Migration Cell for Measuring Migration through Microwave Susceptor Films
Begley, Timothy H. ; Hollifield, Henry C.
Food and Packaging Interactions II. September 13, 1991, 53-66
7. Analysis of Aroma Release during Microwave Heating
Deborah D. Roberts and, Philippe Pollien
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 1997 45 (11), 4388-4392
8. Thermal Inactivation of Mushroom Polyphenoloxidase Employing 2450 MHz Microwave Radiation
José Neptuno Rodríguez-López,, Lorena G. Fenoll,, José Tudela,, Carlos Devece,, David Sánchez-Hernández,, Elias de los Reyes, and, Francisco García-Cánovas,
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 1999 47 (8), 3028-3035
9. Consequences of Microwave Heating and Frying on the Lipid Fraction of Chicken and Beef Patties
M. Echarte,, Diana Ansorena, and, Iciar Astiasarán
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2003 51 (20), 5941-5945
10. Biological Activity of Hydroxo-vitamin B12 Degradation Product Formed during Microwave Heating
Fumio Watanabe,,, Katsuo Abe,, Hiromi Katsura,, Shigeo Takenaka,, S. A. M. Zakir Hussain Mazumder,, Ryoichi Yamaji,, Syuhei Ebara,, Tomoyuki Fujita,, Shinji Tanimori,, Mitsunori Kirihata, and, Yoshihisa Nakano
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 1998 46 (12), 5177-5180
11. Microwave-Assisted Acid Decomposition of Animal- and Plant-Derived Samples for Element Analysis
Elma Neide V. M. Carrilho,, Mário H. Gonzalez,, Ana Rita A. Nogueira, and, Geraldo M. Cruz, Joaquim A. Nóbrega
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2002 50 (15), 4164-4168
12. Effects of Extrusion, Boiling, Autoclaving, and Microwave Heating on Lupine Allergenicity
Javier Álvarez-Álvarez,,, Eva Guillamón,, Jesús F. Crespo,, Carmen Cuadrado,, Carmen Burbano,, Julia Rodríguez,, Consuelo Fernández, and, Mercedes Muzquiz
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2005 53 (4), 1294-1298
13. Behavior of Some Solid Food Simulants in Contact with Several Plastics Used in Microwave Ovens
Cristina Nerín and, Domingo Acosta
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2002 50 (25), 7488-7492
14. Enzyme Inactivation Analysis for Industrial Blanching Applications: Comparison of Microwave, Conventional, and Combination Heat Treatments on Mushroom Polyphenoloxidase Activity
Carlos Devece,, José Neptuno Rodríguez-López,, Lorena G. Fenoll,, José Tudela,, José Manuel Catalá,, Elias de los Reyes, and, Francisco García-Cánovas,
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 1999 47 (11), 4506-4511
15. Effects of Roasting, Blanching, Autoclaving, and Microwave Heating on Antigenicity of Almond (Prunus dulcis L.) Proteins
M. Venkatachalam,, S. S. Teuber,, K. H. Roux, and, S. K. Sathe,
Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2002 50 (12), 3544-3548

There are more papers in other database such RSC etc.

0 Kudos