cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
todd40324
New Contributor

Forensic Chemistry Course Lecture and Laboratory?

Greetings!  I am new to teaching Forensic Chemistry.  We currently offer a 2-credit hour lecture course and I am considering increasing this to a 3-credit hour course.  I was curious: how many of the professors on this forum that currently teach a Forensic Chemistry course offer a laboratory course as well (either integrated with the lecture or as a separate course)?

8 Replies
Previous Community Member
Not applicable

Greetings Todd,

Ideally, having a lab component in any science course is the only way for students to see the applicability of the scientific method as well as the protocol that scientists follow when conducting experiments, especially in Forensics where discovery and investigation is at the heart of it.

I have been teaching Forensic Science for over 20 years to college, HS, and little kids using hands-on approach to uncover the connection between physical evidence and the scientific method.

I strongly encourage you to include a lab component to your course. Consult Flinn Scientific or Carolina Biological for prepackaged labs you may consider in ALL areas of Forensics, from drug analysis to fingerprinting, etc. etc. This is a great entry for the students to the joy of science...indeed.

Best wishes. 

Prof. Diab

cmert
New Contributor

I've been teaching a 3-cr hr forensic chemistry course for non-science majors and I really encourage the lab component as well.  I have the lab integrated with lecture but have considered splitting the lab out so that they have a more defined amount of time in lab.  Most really appreciate the hands-on experience as well as understanding how protocol, technique, etc could affect one's results if they are not careful.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hello,

The problem with any chemistry classes is the lack of real- life experience. Is there any effort out there by professors to help expose students to actual situation or just class room labs, lectures and case studies?

Please share with all of us the possible resources such as how to access  FBI crime labs?

I am also looking for forensic science speakers for our Science Cafes and American Chemical Society  in Greater Cleveland-Ackron Ohio area. A small stipend may be offered if you are invited. Please send a short bio and picture.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mmarino
New Contributor

Re: Forensic Chemistry Course Lecture and Laboratory?

I show a History Channel DVD on the FBI labs. Does the history of the labs and takes you through each unit and what they do. Probably the next best thing to being able to go to the labs.

Maryann S. Marino, Ph.D.

Biology Department

Monroe Community College

Damon City Campus

228 East Main Street

Rochester, NY 14604

0 Kudos
JoBeck
New Contributor

Please take me off your e-mail list. I'm getting too many

e-mails from the Forensics group. My inbox is clogged.

J. A. Beck

West Milford, NJ

0 Kudos
jessica_placido1
New Contributor

Hi all,

As a PhD student in Toxicology who is interested in working at the FBI labs,

I would like very much to see the History Channel DVD on the FBI labs. Can

you please tell me the name of the DVD and can you order it through the

History Channel website? Thank you!

~Jessica Placido

0 Kudos
JoBeck
New Contributor

Please take me off your e-mail list. I'm getting too many

e-mails from the Forensics group. My inbox is clogged.

J. A. Beck

West Milford, NJ

0 Kudos
ChrisbbSchmidt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Josephine,

What I recommend is that you go into the ACS Network into the Forensic Group, and click on “Stop Email Notifications” as found in the Actions Box to the right. Then you can later visit this group to see the recent content.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Christine

0 Kudos