cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anna_ivanova
New Contributor III

Ask the Innovators: Spotlight on Berkeley's Greener Solutions Program

New from the Green Chemistry Innovation Portal comes a unique opportunity to talk online with innovative scientists about their green chemistry solutions. In this online text-based Q&A, we will talk about the Berkeley Center for Green Chemistry’s Greener Solutions Program, a project-based class that partners students with organizations involved in sustainable chemistry. Interdisciplinary teams of high-level students work closely with the partner organizations to apply the students’ knowledge, analyzing real-world opportunities for the adoption of safer chemicals and materials. Hear more about the program in this video:

The experts joining us for this session will be:

• Tom McKeag, Berkeley Center for Green Chemistry, Program Director
  • Kaj Johnson, Senior Director of Product Development, Method
  • Meg Schwarzman, Berkeley Center for Green Chemistry, Associate Director
  • Billy Hart-Cooper, student at UC Berkeley

Tom and Meg will give insider perspectives on the formation and success of Greener Solutions, while Kaj will discuss how Method came to be involved and what the innovative personal care company has gained from the program. Billy will contribute a student perspective on the advantages and challenges of participating in the Greener Solutions course.

Ask the masterminds behind the Greener Solutions program anything you like: how it began, successes, lessons learned, or technical questions. Questions will be collected on this post and answered live by text on November 10th, so create a free ACS ID now and submit your question below. Come back from 3:00-4:30 ET (12-1:30 PT) on Nov. 10th to chat with the innovators and the community right here!

50 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Ask the Innovators: Spotlight on Berkeley's Greener Solutions Program

Great idea.  I look forward to the discussion.

Perhaps I can kick things off and ask a question around new chemistry/molecules from green chemistry principles.

We are a small company in Australia that is commercializing the use of levoglucosenone from waste cellulose.  Our main product is a new solvent, dihydrolevoglucosenone (trademarked as Cyrene). 

My question is, how does the panel see the process and drivers for introducing new green chemicals into the market place changing to accelerate the uptake?

0 Kudos
mmbecker
New Contributor III

How did you choose the topics for technical study and collaboration? How can companies suggest topics that they would like you to take on?

0 Kudos
lreyes
New Contributor II

The Greener Solutions Program is a great opportunity for graduate students to gain hands-on experience in applying green chemistry to a real problem in industry. How would you recommend this be done on a shorter timescale, i.e. a half-day workshop instead of a semester-long course? Is there a resource somewhere for existing case studies which could be analyzed by grad students? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

The Greener Solutions Program is such a great course! I wish something like this was offered at my university. Do you have any plans to open it up to interested students or graduates not at UC Berkeley, perhaps as a continuing education course? Or as a stand-alone, condensed program?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

The chemistry I took in college did not focus on industry problems, and I think that this is still true at many colleges and universities. Yet many chemistry students graduate and seek employment in industry. Do you think that participating in a program like this give students an advantage if they want to be hired in industry?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

This sounds like an amazing course! I see on the greener solutions webpage that companies can ask student groups to address very specific challenges. Have these asks been more technical, on an R&D level, or have they been looking for broader sustainability solutions? Have you found that some projects are better suited to interdisciplinary teams than others, and, if so, why?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

some great questions.  I'm looking forward to the panel tomorrow.

Kenvan-  I would be interested in learning more about your solvent.  One of the key barriers to adoption is knowing what is in development, what unique benefits, and what is the right fit. Glad you are joining in. Kaj

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Great course.  What are the challenges to an academic science department taking on such an applied, service oriented course and how were those barriers addressed?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for giving us this opportunity to ask questions!

I was wondering what types of compulsory courses are integrated into the Berkeley Green Chemistry curriculum?  Namely, what are the courses that specifically address environmental and human health impacts?  Traditionally, when pursuing a degree in Chemistry, these courses are not found in the syllabus.  I would like to hear more about what the Berkeley course requirements include and most importantly, you have heard of more Colleges and Universities adopting such courses in their core curriculum?

Thanks

0 Kudos