DuPage County IL - Forensic Scientist - Drug Chemistry
Title: Forensic Scientist - Drug Chemistry
Closing Date: 1/8/2021
Division: Forensic Science Center
Hours: Full-Time: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with Experience (Hiring Range: $55,000-$90,000 annually)
The DuPage County Forensic Science Center, a division of the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office, is seeking applicants for the position of Forensic Scientist – Drug Chemistry. The laboratory is located in Wheaton, Illinois, approximately 30 miles west of Chicago, Illinois. The laboratory is ISO 17025 accredited and provides forensic services in drug chemistry, latent prints, forensic biology and DNA, to law enforcement agencies within DuPage County.
• A Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution in forensic science, chemistry, biology or other natural science or related program.
• A minimum of two years full-time work experience conducting analysis of criminal evidence suspected to contain a controlled substance.
• Skill in the use of current laboratory equipment related to chemical analysis to include, but not limited to gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR).
• Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on complex laboratory equipment.
• Working knowledge of computer software: Microsoft Office suite and Adobe PDF.
• Must not be impaired from qualifying as an expert witness and testing credibly in courts of law.
• Ability to prepare and deliver legal testimony accurately and be cross-examined and remain composed in court.
• Ability to explain laboratory analysis techniques, procedures and theories in a clear and concise manner so that non-scientists may understand the significance of the results obtained using these procedures.
• Experience testifying as an expert witness in federal and/or state courts.
• Personal certification through the American Board of Criminalistics.
• Working knowledge of ISO 17025 accreditation standards.
DUTIES: Performs analysis on criminal evidence suspected to contain a controlled substance utilizing analytical balances, liquid-liquid extractions, color tests, stereoscope, UV-VIS, TLC, GC-MS and FTIR. Issues reports with results and testifies in court as an expert witness (courthouse is within walking distance of laboratory). Performs instrument maintenance and quality assurance duties. Performs technical and administrative reviews. Other duties as assigned.
The laboratory does not perform testing of evidence from suspected clandestine laboratories.
HOURS: 37.5 hours per week.
CLOSING DATE: Applications postmarked no later than January 8, 2021.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience (Hiring Range: $55,000 - $90,000, Salary Range: $46,395 - $98,784)
SERVICE: Civilian (non-sworn)
LOCATION: 501 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
OTHER INFORMATION: Selected candidate must provide a DNA sample via a buccal swab, fingerprint standards and pass a security background check.
Applicants without the minimum requirements will not be considered for this posting.
Mail your cover letter, resume and civilian employment application (available at https://www.dupagesheriff.org/AboutUs/103/ ) to:
DuPage County Forensic Science Center
501 N. County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
The DuPage County Sheriff’s Office is an equal opportunity employer.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer