cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abusalma
New Contributor II

Re: Why did you choose your specific degree in science?

It was no more for me than self-bravery. In the secondary schools the news everywhere was that everyone is scared to go the science way. It was branded as too difficult to excel in it. Myself bravery makes me always want to do what people run away from. But I was held back by my poor performance in Physics at my final Exams. It was not easy to enrol for another Exam immediately for make up. Eventually I could not have mre than ordinary pass in physics. Admission reqirement to study SLT Chemistry accepts pass in physics. So I tppk the entrance Exam and made my way to SLT Chemistry. Chemistry is interesting when I read it but I am sad when I don't find practical application or experiment for what I read.

S_Witherington
New Contributor II

I had always been a geeky science kid and knew I wanted to be in the sciences.  It took me some trial and error first going into Mathematics (who knows why?) and then choosing Biology only to be dissatisfied. So I thought it out and decided that maybe biochemistry was right for me. I loved biology just didn't find some of the classes challenging enough so I changed my major and never looked back.  I loved clinical biochemistry and medicinal chemistry and thankfully I had a wonderful mentor and professor who loved biochemistry as much as I did. Now I'm combining my love of biochemistry and genetics to help patients! It may have been slightly on accident but I couldn't be more thankful!

chemist1056
New Contributor II

I knew since I was four years old that I wanted to be a doctor. However (living in a non-science family like some of you mentioned), I didn't consider myself a science person until I took classes in high school. So at the beginning, Dad encouraged me to try and rooted for me to succeed (this makes me the person that I am today). As I studied, I found at the beginning that I enjoyed Physical Science, and then I really enjoyed Chemistry. (Since I have been studying Chemistry, I have apparently became too odd to talk to sometimes. )

Not all things were clear to me when I first entered college, but one thing was certain: I wanted to major in Chemistry or Biochemistry depending on which the college would offer. Luckily, I ended up at MSSU and am now finishing my Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Biochemistry. Here many of my instructors including Dr. Gilbert, Dr. Ennis, and Dr. Donelson have made learning Chemistry fun and exciting, and they have rooted for me also even when the way seemed tough. After these years have passed, I find myself interested in the Chemistry behind living things, so Biochemistry was the right way to go especially since I want to enter medical school and/or a graduate program.