cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Geological Question. How do you imagine?

Today is December 30, 2011.

Today, I am reading a book edited by D. Deamer and J. Szostak published from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.

Of course I am a layman as to the geological field. Regarding this field, I am almost like a 800 pounds Gollira having IQ 40.

On page 41, a possibility of hot rain of 200 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees that might fall on the ancient Erath was written.

First of all, can water exist in liquid state at such  high temperatures?

If I would go to that era by a time machine, and if I would wear a survival siute, then can I endure that heat?

Oh, atchitchitchi!

How did the hot rain fall?

What chemicals were the constituents of that rain?

Did it erode everything including even the Earth surface rocks?

How fast was the speed of the falling rain?  Was the associated wind so enormous?

Was it associated by huge thunders?

Was it like the current Venus surface?

How do you imagine the ancient Earth surface chemically?

Imagine the past nascent Earth surface of about 4.0Ga yaears ago!!

Looking forward to receiving your various imaginations,

complexpotential

December 30, 2011

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mei-LingHAM
New Contributor

Re: A Geological Question. How do you imagine?

January 31, 2012

Hello!

Perhaps this article from NASA on Early Earth will provide you with more information:

http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/articles/earth-s-early-atmosphere-an-update/

0 Kudos

February 4, 2012

Dear Mr. Hamilton,

I have heard your voice "Hello!" clearly and loudly.

Thank you very much for your very precious advice.

From NASA'S website pages you indicated, I have understood that the key tools for measuring or inferring the oxidatiion state of the early Earth's atmosphere are the zircon and  cerium atom.  Can we conclude now as finally that the oxidation level of the nascent Earth atmosphere was near the current atmosphere?

Today's atmosphere comprises nitrogen gas by 80%.  the NASA's article does mention about the origin of the nitrogen gas appearance.  Oxygen gas may be a later accumulation of byproduct of the biological processes.  But how obout the origin of the nitrogen gas?

Reductive state of the atmosphere is now known to be a necessary condition for the biological building block molecule to be synthesized abiotically.  So that it seems that we now have to abandon the possibility of the ab initio beggining of life on this planet Earth because now it was found that the early Earth atmosphere were not reductive.

NASA's scientists are saying that "the building block for life were not created on Earth, but delivered from elesewhere in the galaxy."  Then do we need to imagine an absolutely different scenario for the creation of life?  For example, like prebiotic chemical process that is floating in the space with zero gravity condition?  Or do we need to consider a possible exoplanet that did have the necessary condition of reductive atmosphere to create the building block of life other than the Earth?

I am a fan of the origin of life science.

Are you too? 

If so, then let us start talking!

Sincerely

800 pounds Gorilla

0 Kudos
Mei-LingHAM
New Contributor

February 4, 2012

Hello Again!

http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/32/10/905.abstract

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/366/1885/4581.full.pdf

243rd ACS National Spring Meeting & Exposition in San Diego, CA

March 25 – 29, 2012

GEOC:  Division of Geochemistry

Symposium Title:  “From Geochemistry to Biochemistry and the Origin of Life

http://abstracts.acs.org/chem/243nm/program/divisionindex.php?act=presentations&val=From+Geochemistr...

0 Kudos

February 10, 2012

Dear Mr. Hamilton,

Thank you a million times!

At last I have understood your intention.

You gave me a lot of treasure source of information.

From the last website you referred, I could find a interestnig oral session for me.

It is the "Chemical Evolution on Earth" which will be held on the coming March 27 this year.

From its list of presentation title, I have kown the forefront word "Ribosomal Paleontology".

Though I cannot attend that session, I would like to know the summary of each presentation later if possible.

Anyway, if the content of the session is important for the field, it will be written and published in some book someday in future.  I will wait.

I again thank you for your marciful and kind response.

complexpotential

From Japan with friendly mind

0 Kudos
Mei-LingHAM
New Contributor

Clicking on each GEOC Symposium title at the link provided will reveal the Author’s submitted abstract for his or her presentation!

0 Kudos