cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterp901
New Contributor

Has anyone worked with polyalumium chlorohydrate in the metal hydroxide precipitation process?

Has anyone worked with polyalumium chlorohydrate in the metal hydroxide precipitation process? Of the references that I found have been very little in explaining the mechanism of this reaction or the type of Al species that occur at pH 9.5. In the industrial wastewater pretreatment for waste containing heavy metals, the waste is treated with sodium hydroxide to form metal hydroxide. Since the hydroxide precipitation is very small, adding coagulant/ polyelectrolytes forms a gel like mass to create bigger floc, and adding a polymer helps the floc to separate out of the solution so that either sinks or float. The type of wastes that I am dealing with are metalworking fluids. Some may be semi synthetic or synthetic. Part of what the coagulant does is to neutralize the electrical charges on the oil doplets within emulisfied liquid. If someone know of resources where I could find information that would be a big help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yzhamada
New Contributor

Re: Has anyone worked with polyalumium chlorohydrate in the metal hydroxide precipitation process?

Dear Peter,

Please see the attached files. I hope they are helpful.

0 Kudos
gtrunfio
New Contributor

Re: Has anyone worked with polyalumium chlorohydrate in the metal hydroxide precipitation process?

hallo Peter! I hope you're going well.

I have seen your question about polyaluminum chlorohydrate and I got interested immediately, since i find the topic really complicated. I worked sometimes with flocculant, but I learnt just a few: Al has high charge density, given is +3 oxidation state, and can interact with other negatively charged particles (organics?), stabilizing the medium. Indeed Al3+ is the real flocculant agent (like Fe3+); Unfortunately, at pH = 9.5 it is slightly soluble and so you add Al in your final reject. Today there are some polymers employed as flocculant agent.

I also would like to thank you Mr Hamada, since he was so kind to give  us some interesting papers!!!

0 Kudos