cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kblenman
New Contributor

Is it possible to chemically inhibit conformational changes in chemical structures of proteins?

Dear Group

It has been quite a while since I have focused on basic chemistry and am currently trying to get back into the area. Since it has been so long, I must disclose that I have reverted into a newbie. With that being said, please bear with me if my question seems naïve. I am interested in finding chemical compounds that can prevent conformational changes in the chemical structures of proteins. In essence, I would like to make the chemical structures completely rigid. The idea is to keep the structures in the original conformation that they are collected in. I prefer to stay away from cross-linking compounds like aldehydes since the mechanisms of formation of the cross-links alter the conformation of the proteins from their original state. I also prefer to stay away from alcohols since the dehydrating property also alters the conformation of proteins. These preferences limit my options quite considerably. I am not quite sure where to go from here. Does anyone have any suggestions of other types of chemical compounds that could be used to inhibit conformational changes in the chemical structures of proteins?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Is it possible to chemically inhibit conformational changes in chemical structures of proteins?

Dear Sir,

This is an amature physicist.

May I name the compound that you are seeking as "anti-distortor"?

I have ever read a book entitled "Life at the Limits" written by David A. Wharton and published from Cambridge University Press.
Please refer to page 165 to page 172 of this book.  The sections are "Polar fishes" and "Tolerating freezing".

An "anti-freezer" enzyme has been seemed to have evolved to wrap the target enzyme that has vital function for the host animal to keep living in the freezingly cold sea water.  The complex behavior of this anti-freezer molecule seems to be keeping the original comformation of the target protein molecule.

Of course the above sample is traget protein-specific.

An all-mighty anti-distortor molecule is, at present. seems to be difficult to consider or to artificially design.

Can this be of your help?

Sincerely,

M.Y.

May 1, 2013

0 Kudos