cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hossain
New Contributor II

Degree Requirement in Industry

Jump to solution

For a chemist, is a Masters degree enough instead of PhD if he/she willing to pursue career in industry?

@chemist

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Matt_Russell
New Contributor II

Re: Degree Requirement in Industry

Jump to solution

Yes. However, it does depend on the industry. I work in R&D for agricultural products and many jobs are posted for MS and BS level positions. Many times for positions requiring experience they are posted as BS with 5 years experience and MS with 2 years experience. I do not have direct experience in pharma but I understand the requirements are different.

View solution in original post

julia6622
New Contributor

Jump to solution

@Hossain wrote:

For a chemist, is a Masters degree enough instead of PhD if he/she willing to pursue career in industry?

@chemist

Hello @Hossain ,
Yes, a Master's degree can be sufficient for a chemist pursuing a career in industry. With a Master's, you can take on key research responsibilities, lead projects, and potentially move into management roles. However, higher-level positions, especially in research and development, may prefer or require a PhD. 

Best Regards,
Julia Goff

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Matt_Russell
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Yes. However, it does depend on the industry. I work in R&D for agricultural products and many jobs are posted for MS and BS level positions. Many times for positions requiring experience they are posted as BS with 5 years experience and MS with 2 years experience. I do not have direct experience in pharma but I understand the requirements are different.

PradeepBandi
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Dear Hossain,

I have entered into Pharma industry with Master’s degree in Chemistry as fresher immediately after graduation with no industry experience but my college research experience. However, every company  requirements varies in terms of experience and educational qualifications depending upon job duties they want you to perform. Companies typically ask for previous experience of 2-5years with Master’s degree and and 0-3 years with phd. Master’s would be suffice but phd would give you easy pass to get a job. It is advisable to gain some experience by doing internship and research in college if you want to get into industry immediately after Master’s. Hope this helps

Matt_Russell
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

I agree with your observations. I strongly encourage folks to apply and participate in internships. Do not delay in applying., they fill very fast. I know our company is already taking applications for May 2025.

https://careers.corteva.com/job-en/20991205/crop-health-and-regulatory-sciences-r-d-intern-indianapo...

julia6622
New Contributor

Jump to solution

@Hossain wrote:

@chemist

Hello @Hossain ,
Yes, a Master's degree can be sufficient for a chemist pursuing a career in industry. With a Master's, you can take on key research responsibilities, lead projects, and potentially move into management roles. However, higher-level positions, especially in research and development, may prefer or require a PhD. 

Best Regards,
Julia Goff

Hossain
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thank you Matt. Can I use your referral?

Best

Golam Hossain

0 Kudos
Hossain
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thanks Julia!

Best

Golam

0 Kudos