cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deb106
New Contributor

Manicures & associated chemicals

Acetone (for soaking off 'gel nails' & the acrylic powder + liquid chemical that is mixed together & applied to the nails (ie, 'Acrylics').

I have finally figured out why the sensitive skin around my eyes gets burned (turns red, swells-up and peels & takes approx. 1-1/2 wks to heal) and I occassionaly get 'blisters' on my face...it's because I'm exposed to these chemicals at the nail salon every 2-3 wks. 

I believe its the 'fumes/vapors' more than anything else because my fingers do not blister or burn - just the skin around my eyes is effected.

Has anyone else every come across this issue?   Thank you for any help you can give me on this matter.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
janet_varela
New Contributor

Re: Manicures & associated chemicals

Hmmm, interesting.  You must be hypersensitive.  Have you worked in a lab before?

I have been working on trying to speed up the reaction for gel soak off manicure.  Has anyone tried anything?  I have tried warming the Acetone and warming the little foil wraps.  Still no significate change in time.  Has anyone tried anything to speed the reaction? 

0 Kudos
IHenderson
New Contributor

As a biochemist, I have learned to do my own nails and have done lots of experimentation on my own nails. As far as I know there is no way to speed up the reaction by removing with acetone. It may help if you efile down the thickness of the artificial nailand then apply acetone. I have switched to shellac by CND - lasts for 2-3 weeks and is easily removed with acetone wrap. Comes in a number of colours. OPI also has a similar line. I get my supplies online from a company in New Jersey. I think its called eNails. Also new shellac cured using LED light rather than UV so safer. I have not tried this product yet.

0 Kudos
janet_varela
New Contributor

Hi Isabelle,

I have been using the Shellac with UV cure for a while.  I love it, it last and last.  But I wish I could figure out a way to speed up the reaction when removing it.  I have come up with a little idea that kind of works.  I attach cotton squares to larger squares of Aluminum foil with spray adhesive.  Then I warm the acetone with one of those hand warmer packets.  I put the warmed acetone on the cotton ( and it doesn't come off if you use the spray adhesive) and wrap each one.  Then finally I put my fingers on the hand warmer thing.  This cuts the time by about 2 minutes.  But not what I was looking for.  I want 1/2 the time.  I hate waiting.

Let me know how the LED light cured polish works out.  I am curious to know if it last as long and how hard it is to remove.

0 Kudos