cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katharine_b
New Contributor

Re: What do you think the coolest element is?

My favorite is Nitrogen.  We breathe it all day long, we eat it and excrete it, heck - it's in our DNA to love Nitrogen!

mdunstan
New Contributor

What do you think the coolest element is?

The coolest element has to be carbon! There is no other element that can make life possible. It is everywhere and cycles with so much clarity. Organic, inorganic, biochemistry. It is all good.

0 Kudos
BARNES
New Contributor

Re: What do you think the coolest element is?

Unbihexium. A long lived superactinide – what would be cooler than that? Besides science is best when searching for the undiscovered

0 Kudos
guillaume_nars
New Contributor

The coolest element ? Hydrogen of course : 1 proton and 1 electron. 

0 Kudos
wtrammell
New Contributor II

The coolest element - Phosphorus. Why? Probably due to the way it was discovered. The alchemist, Herman Brand, isolated it by letting buckets of urine sit around and evaporate. It's symbol is "P" - rather appropriate, I might add. You have to admire Mrs. Brand, assuming there was one, for her tolerance of this experiment. Neither my wife nor my mother would have allowed me to do this. Phosphorus proved helpful in creating match heads, so it lived up to its name as a "light bearer."

Previous Community Member
Not applicable

I very much agree with you with your pick of technetium. I didn't know that it was actually used for anything, but it's been my favorite just because of being the lowest radioactive element.

0 Kudos
cbradford
New Contributor

Hi,

I think fluorine is the coolest element. It is distinct from the other halogens in how it behaves. It is small but highly electronegative. It is radioactive and show potenital in medicine if it can quickly be incorporated and it is inter in metal catalyzed cross couple. I think fluorine is awesome.

oemejiav
New Contributor

mmmmm... hard to say... I'd say that RHENIUM is the coolest: the last (stable) one to be discovered, one of the most scarce in the universe, nine oxidation states (from -1 to 7!!!) and still no major application!! still a raw diamond!

0 Kudos
webucateus
New Contributor

Agreed. It's nice to breathe it too--in the right concentration.

0 Kudos
ludvigmm
New Contributor

Coolest, in terms of neat and pretty, is Titanium. I have some earrings that have under gone different heat treatments and the colors are COOL!

0 Kudos