cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silike
New Contributor

Re: What do you think the coolest element is?

Hi , i think the coolest element is Silicone too . it is very soft and make a great contribution for the thermoplastic industries . And many many additives were made by them , like silicone masterbatch , silicone powder .... 

Nowadays , all thermoplastic compounds manufactures are pursuit better processing properties and better surface quality , Small addition of silicone additives can help them achieve those properties . But for those high requirements like anti-screatch resistance , abrasion resistance , haha, Silicone additives can help you too.

So i have to see SILICONE is a great product , Si is the coolest element .

0 Kudos
silike
New Contributor

Hey , totally agree with you . i love Silicone too .

0 Kudos
gkassnarayan
New Contributor II

Thank you for the support and concurrence

0 Kudos
scerri
New Contributor III

One of the coolest elements is element 43, technetium.

It was first discovered by artificial synthesis. 

Surprisingly rare and radioactive in view of its relatively low atomic number.

Has found numerous applications as a radioactive tracer in medicine. 

Every major hospital in the world 'makes' Tc for this purpose.

The only element ever discovered in Italy, or Palermo, Sicily to be precise.

eric scerri

UCLA Department of Chemistry.

Please see my new website about the elements and the periodic table and history and philosophy of chemistry.

ericscerri.com/

bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

Since I'm on my second pacemaker (1 year in, 1st lasted 8 years), my new favorite elements are titanium and lithium (case and battery).  Therefore, they are the "coolest".

-- Bob Buntrock

Orono, ME

bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

See my reply (10/27).  It's my favorite too since I have a pacemaker.  Also, it's used for the skin of high speed aircraft since Al/Mg alloy doesn't have the heat strength that Ti does.

0 Kudos
imranvahora2003
New Contributor

Being a pharmacist i would just go for CARBON. we can say that, the drugs, the food, everything that human being or any being consumes can be devoid of any other element but cannot be devoid of carbon. i think 99.99% of drugs in the world would not exist if carbon didn't exist. I don't have seen till now any chemistry book that has a cover page that has no carbon picture on it. even my 10th std book was having fullerene on its cover page, and 12th standard book had sugars' structures on it. everything revolves around carbon methinks. and of course, have you seen any stereochemistry book that starts explaining it taking element other than carbon in it? chemistry starts with carbon and ends with carbon. ohh i'll just write a boooooooooooooooooook on carbon.....

0 Kudos
bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

Check out the chapter, "P is for Phosphorus" in Hugh Aldersey-Wiliams' book, "Periodic Tales" where he repeats Hennig Brand's prep of P.

0 Kudos
bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, you seem to be confusing the element silicon with silicones which are Si-O compounds, some with remarkable polymeric properties.  This confusion often exists in the popular press.

0 Kudos
sfrench72
New Contributor

For me the coolest element is Tellurium.  One of the patents I received for discovering a preparative method was for the direct oxidation of Tellurium metal to Tellurium Dioxide.  I had a preparation submitted by a chemist in the corporate research laboratories that used dilute nitric acid and then pyrolysis of the oxynitrate salt to the dioxide.  In my haste one day to scale up the preparation in a 22 liter flask I added the metal powder to hot concentrated nitric acid and forgot to add distilled water.  A great evolution of nitrogen dioxide ensued, which could not be removed from the ventilated air in the hood using caustic spray and caused a dark brown cloud to exit the ventilation stack.  What remained after some additional stirring and heating was nearly pure tellurium dioxide.  It was subsequently washed several times with distilled water and oven dried.  The material was added to other oxides to produce a very high refractive index glass.  In addition to the patent I also got another dubious bonus.  Garlic breath and sweat for several weeks after I had finished the production request.  I also subsequently found out from other experts that nitrogen dioxide can be effectively scrubbed from the air using serial cold water absorption towers.