cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbarchem
New Contributor

Re: What is Your Favorite Chemical Reaction?

Aldol condensation is my favourite reaction

0 Kudos
jerempearson
New Contributor

Amazing

0 Kudos
skzohner
New Contributor

.My favorite chemical reaction is very simple/complicated - the photosynthetic splitting of water with the reduction of carbon dioxide.

0 Kudos
SodraJan
New Contributor

My favourites are two simple reactions: The trans-esterification and the esterification reactions. Both preferrably with fatty acids involved.

Biological oils and fats usually consist from triglycerides of fatty acids and glycerol with some amounts of free fatty acids (0,1 - 100%) depending on the general quality of the oil. During the trans-esterification reaction is the glycerin replaced by another alcohol, usually MeOH or EtOH by the aid of a catalyst, usually NaOMe or KOMe. This reaction turns the oil or fat from a viscous hard-combusted liqud into a fluid easily combusted thin oil. The properties of this oil  are of course depending upon the lenght and unsaturation degree of the fatty acids involved, but it is nevertheless a remarkeble change taking place. The same goes for the esterification reaction, with the exceptions that there is water formed during the reaction and that there is another catalyst empoyed, usually H2SO4.

These reactions open up new political and technical perspectives, I guess that everybody is aware of how much people all over the globe that are using this reaction in order to produce heating oil and engine fuel for themselves and their customers on a small-scale basis. Not always good quality, but it still indicates that energy can be produced and consumed locally with very low carbon footprints ,also a less vunerable system than that of today. And all this thanks to these simple reactions.

0 Kudos
markobri
Contributor III

Hydrogen 4.1 Helium in Disguise

0 Kudos
AliS
New Contributor II

My  Favorite chemical reaction, when  hydrocarbon components reaction with iron oxide catalyst, and the formation of iron carbide,  and then separated the carbon in the form carbon nanofibers or carbon nanotubes.

0 Kudos
mumtaz
New Contributor

My favorite reaction is the catalytic air oxidation of heavy hydrocarbon stocks such as oils, waxes, and bitumen under mild conditions. The process may convert such stocks into fractions suitable as fuels and as intermediates. Redox couples such as Co(III)/Co(II), Mn(III)/Mn(II), or Fe(III)/(II) may be used as catalysts for this purpose.

0 Kudos
markobri
Contributor III

The Briggs-Rauscher Reaction
Kicking off ACS's new series of Bytesize demo videos, University of Wisconsin-Madison Chemistry Professor and 2012 ACS President Bassam Shakhashiri, author of the popular “Chemical Demonstrations” textbooks, demonstrates the Briggs-Rauscher Reaction.

0 Kudos
bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

Oscillating reactions are indeed fascinating, this one in particular.  They're even observed in industrial processes.  The Briggs-Rauscher Reaction is not listed in "Name Reactions, 3rd ed." (Jie Jack Li, Springer, 2006).  It, along with other named oscillating reactions, should be listed in future compendia.  Also, is there a descriptive compendium of oscillating reactions?

0 Kudos
markobri
Contributor III

Here's an interesting article published in the Journal of Organic Process Research and Development:

High-Temperature Diels–Alder Reactions: Transfer from Batch to Continuous Mode