cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markobri
Contributor III

What is your favorite element?

Please share your favorite element and explain why you like it the best.   Participate in this thread and we'll send you one of our 111 named element pins.  Sorry, no Copermicium.

AI.jpgMt.jpg

Tags (1)
45 Replies
wolsey
New Contributor

Re: What is your favorite element?

My favorite element is nitrogen.

I like the large number of oxidation states, NINE,--ranging from 5+ to 3-, and even includes a value of 1/3 minus, for the azide ion.  The redox chemistry is rather involved, but largely predictable.  As a former profesor of inorganic chemistry, my exams often included some equations to be completed and balanced from Group VA (now 15).

Wayne Wolsey

Professor Emeritus,

Macalester College

St. Paul, MN

Jhonatan
New Contributor

Hi, my favorite element is vanadium because it has a lot of colors depending of its oxidation state, for example +2 (lilac), +3 (green), +4 (blue) and +5 (yellow) and I really think that I like almost all the transition metals because its colour (generally due to electronic transitions).

cbradford
New Contributor

Hi,

I think one of my favorite elements is probably Argon. It is totaly inert. How cool would it be to be unaffected by just about anything. And argon lets me do lots of cool reactions that would otherwise be impossible.

rrich
Contributor

Christine, I couldn't agree more.  My uniform number on the "ACS Elements" softball team is 18 for argon.  As a pitcher, I aspire to complete inertness (i.e., unhittability) in the pitches I throw.  Argon is also great for protecting an organic reaction that is sensitive to oxygen or water.

May_
New Contributor II

Hello;

when I first read the Q I couldn't think of ONE element as my favorite, but after thinking for a while I believe my favorites are Hydrogen & Oxygen. when they combine they make WATER, the source of life. but they also make FIRE (one burns & the other helps the fire, correct me if I'm wrong), this contradiction makes them special, yet they're avalible everywhere.

0 Kudos
monteza
New Contributor II

I think could be the Carbon, almost everywhere, millions of combinations, from the simple atom to macromolecules. You got it in any fashion you want: gaseous to liquids to solids, reduced in any combination with other elements.

sanazhariri
New Contributor

I think all of element are beautiful but transiction metall are the best because , they are colour full.

0 Kudos
julia1979
New Contributor II

I like Argentum, this is the element thermal and electrical conductivity. Silver beautiful decorations

0 Kudos
julia1979
New Contributor II

I like Argentum, this is the element thermal and electrical conductivity. Silver beautiful decorations

0 Kudos