cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvillegas
New Contributor

Re: What is your favorite element?

Hydrogen,

Mostly because of the many things we can get out of the samllest element. It continues to teach us so much today.

0 Kudos
sulphide
New Contributor

how about sulfur or sulphur...Its chemistry is cool and without it where would we be with vulcanization of rubber?

0 Kudos
Vanraj7777
New Contributor

It's Oxygen not only because it's necessary to every one....

It's very important to me.. I'm working on Flavone derivatives against estrogen dependent cancer...

So you can guess 'O' how much important to Flavone synthesis & Oxin steps...

0 Kudos
bobbuntrock
New Contributor III

I believe I posted this answer previously when first asked, but I'll do it again.

Since I'm three years on my second pacemaker (the first lasted 8 years-yay Medtronic) my favorite element is titanium (Ti).  Formerly used to make skins for high speed aircraft, it now keeps me and many others healthy.  Since the batteries last so long, I suppose that lithium (Li) is my second choice.

Mark, this is first I've heard about the pin.  I anticipate a Ti pin shortly.

-- Bob Buntrock

dobbsgm
New Contributor

My favorite element is Gadolinium.  GD are my initials and Gd has a half-filled shell.  I did my thesis work on its crystal field splittings in rigorously zero magnetic field at liquid helium temperature.

0 Kudos
mleex056
New Contributor

Manganese is my favorite element because it has so many oxidation states +2, +3, +4, +6 and +7 and based on the number of charges to the Mn, the function of its element varies.

0 Kudos
janetmsmith
New Contributor

My favorite element is Si. One can do incredible chemistry with the Si-O chain, and the applications are infinite. I've built my career on SI chemistry in applications such as masonry treatment, hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings, personal care products, and lighting.

0 Kudos
lfelden1
New Contributor

I think I love all the periodic table, but my favorite today is sodium (Na).  It is abundant in solution within our bodies as it is in the earth's oceans.   In our plasma it is the major cation, and is responsible for a large contribution to the osmotic pressure and so is important for maintaining circulating blood volume.  Inside of cells it helps regulate cell volume and shape.  Sodium contributes to the electrochemical potential of cell membranes making complex life possible by allowing nervous system and muscle tissue to arise and function.  There are numerous sodium channels and pumps distributed throughout cell membranes.  Some of these proteins are very ancient and well conserved, illustrating the vital importance of regulating sodium through evolutionary history.  Sodium gradients produced by the Na-K-ATPase pump makes possible transport across the cell membranes of kidney epithelial cells of many other substances such as glucose, amino acids, and bicarbonate, that allow vertebrate life to survive. If that weren't enough sodium is found in the atmosphere of Jupiter's moon Io, emitted as NaCl by volcanos on it's surface.  It is found in the atmosphere of stars and throughout space.   Today I love sodium. Tomorrow I may have a different favorite element!                       

Rich Feldenberg, M.D.

Assistant Professor of Pediatrics

Division of Pediatric Nephrology

0 Kudos
ali71866
New Contributor

I would say mine is carbon. It still astonishes me to this day what these carbon backbones are capable of. Carbon is present in every form of life and as inspired many a great chemists to create the beautiful flied of organic chemistry.

0 Kudos
silicaphysics
New Contributor II

Silicon (Si) is also a favorite element of mine, one without which this discussion would not likely take place. But is has other attributes beyond semiconductors. In contrast to the opacity (visible light) of the pure crystalline material (transparent in the IR), the oxide is one of the most transparent to visible: quartz. If you agree, reply "Si"