cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing documents (NOT commenting)

Editing documents (NOT commenting)

Is there a way to update documents already posted to a group? For example, it's great to use my ACS LS group to archive project files, but it seems the only way to truly open the file is to download it, then edit and upload the file again. Pretty clumsy if you want to make multiple edits. The comments feature is not what I need; I want an actual edit to the file. Or in some cases, to share the file outside the ACS Network members.

I was hoping to use the ACS Network like cloud storage -- so that I can easily access the info from any computer with the internet, and even share the file with others eg send via email to someone not on the ACS network. I don't want drafts of documents downloaded to different computers/drives. Am I mistaken about the features/purpose of the ACS network?

Comments

Hi Sarah -

Thanks for your question.

The ACS Network is a tool and like many tools there are different ways of using them. So let me try to answer your questions.

You can use the Network like cloud storage, especially for uploaded documents (Word, Excel, Powerppint, PDFs, etc). And yes, it is a little clunky to have download, edit and upload a documents. There are a few things to keep in mind when doing this.

Instead of editing each time, you might want to collect inline comments and then make all the edits when you are done. (again, not the smoothest way.)

If you are actually working on a document, you might try creating an online document. You can actually track changes being made from version to version. (This is pretty powerful). When you are done, you can convert (copy In) to a Word doc. It allows for some good collaboration.

The ACS Network is accessible to non-ACS members, as long as they register for an ACS ID. You can then grant them access to content and spaces.