AnsweredAssumed Answered

Questions about the process of making dark chocolate

Question asked by Nicole O on Jun 10, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 25, 2019 by Terrence Miesle

Hi, my name is Nicole and I am a junior in high school in my first chemistry class. For my final project, I am making dark chocolate from scratch. I am planning on making dark chocolate using cocoa powder, honey, vanilla, and coconut oil. I plan on heating the ingredients in a small pot over a stove. I have two questions about how this should be done:

1- Do I need to temper the dark chocolate I make if I'm only making a total of about 1 cup of it? It will be separated into small pieces in a silicon mold once all the ingredients are mixed, but I'm not sure if it's necessary to temper it or not for the result to come out okay. Will tempering it just ensure that it will be better than without tempering it?

2- I'd like for my dark chocolate to not be bitter and I was thinking of ways to sweeten it. I know sugar will work to add sweetness, but I'm not sure if it needs to be melted for it to combine well with the other ingredients, or if it'll still be grainy. I could also add honey but I don't know if that will create the right type of sweetness. Should I add regular sugar or honey to sweeten my dark chocolate? Thank you

Outcomes