cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jlsmit5964
New Contributor

Question about cleaning

Hello,
I came across your chemistry question website and wanted to ask a few questions. 

I have been cleaning with 3% hydrogen peroxide and 5% white vinegar.  I’d mix both, 50/50 in a 28oz spray bottle (no water). 
I just recently read that this “could” produce peracetic acid, which also “could” be harmful to eyes/lungs/skin. 
I’ve been using this formula for around 5 years. I’ve never had skin burns, but I have noticed eye/throat discomfort when scrubbing inside my shower. I thought the discomfort was due to the vinegar, but none of the symptoms  lingered. 
My questions is, should I be concerned with the heath effects of having been cleaning with this for so long? 
I do plan to talk to my dr about it, as I’m in my third trimester of pregnancy, but I wanted to ask a chemist.  I called poison control but they didn’t have much insight, especially with pregnancy. 
I truly appreciate your time and help.  
Kind regards,
Julie Moore 
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Question about cleaning

Interesting question!  The equilibrium constant for this reaction is around 2 at 20°C:

Kinetics of Formation of Peroxyacetic Acid 

Dul’neva, L. & Moskvin, A.. (2005). Kinetics of Formation of Peroxyacetic Acid. Russian Journal of General Chemistry. 75. 1125-1130. 10.1007/s11176-005-0378-8.

If [H2O2] = 0.44 M and [acetic acid] = 0.42 M and [H2O] = 55 M, then [peracetic acid] = 0.0065 M at equilibrium 

which is just enough peracetic acid to provide some extra antiseptic activity.  It’s also enough to be irritating but I doubt it’s a serious hazard.  Perhaps others are more familiar with this hazard?

These authors also report the enthalpy of reaction as -14 kJ/mol, which allows one to calculate the enthalpy of formation of peracetic acid as -400 kJ/mol. 

0 Kudos
scooke
Contributor III

That is a common mixture for intentional biocidal cleaning.  At those already diluted concentrations, there should be no particular harmful effect.  BUT, just as with the vinegar and peroxide (in particular) you should always take care to avoid prolonged exposure.  But as a cleaning mixture, it will remain as stable as the peroxide itself and poses no danger of explosion or corrosive action in the container.  A site with some good usage cautions - again, mostly for concentrated solutions. Peracetic Acid Uses and Hazards 

Best regards,

Steven

P.S. I also made my own formulation of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 70%propyl alcohol (50/50) as a great deodorizing cleaning spray for dogs urinating were you don't want them, and particularly for cleaning rugs and fabrics.

cooper12
New Contributor

I'm not a doctor, but I can provide some general information about the chemicals you've been using for Pressure Cleaning Norwich.

Mixing hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and vinegar (which contains acetic acid, CH3COOH) together can potentially produce peracetic acid (CH3COOOH), especially in higher concentrations. Peracetic acid can be harmful to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system if exposed to it in significant amounts. However, in your case, where you've been using a 50/50 mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 5% white vinegar, the concentration of peracetic acid produced is likely to be relatively low.

The symptoms you've experienced, such as eye and throat discomfort, may indeed be due to the fumes from the mixture. While the symptoms have not lingered, it's essential to exercise caution when using cleaning products and ensure proper ventilation in the area where you are cleaning.

To minimize any potential risks:

1. Use the cleaning mixture in a well-ventilated area or open a window to allow fresh air circulation.

2. Wear protective gear like gloves and goggles to protect your skin and eyes from contact with the cleaning solution.

3. Avoid prolonged exposure to the fumes and ensure that the area is adequately ventilated.

4. If you experience any persistent or severe symptoms, such as skin irritation or breathing difficulties, seek medical attention.

5. Consider using alternative cleaning products or commercial cleaning solutions that are specifically designed for the task at hand and may have fewer risks associated with them.

0 Kudos
223-Wunderkinder
New Contributor III

Really, really don't worry about it. Just keep it out of your eyes and don't inhale it. See if you can use a lower [H2O2] for antisepsis. Have you thought of using glutaraldehyde ?

0 Kudos
Arutnevking
New Contributor II

Given that you've been using this mixture for an extended period, it's understandable to have concerns about potential health effects, especially since you're in your third trimester of pregnancy. While you haven't experienced skin burns, any discomfort, especially during pregnancy, should be taken seriously.

It might be a good idea to stop using this mixture for cleaning, particularly during your pregnancy, to minimize any potential risks. Explore alternative, pregnancy-safe cleaning products or natural cleaning solutions that are less likely to produce irritating fumes.

0 Kudos
leemorgan_33
New Contributor II

Absolutely! Taking children on nature walks or hikes is a fantastic way to introduce them to the wonders of the outdoors. It not only provides a break from screens but also fosters an appreciation for nature's beauty. Kids can observe various plants, insects, and animals, turning these walks into educational adventures. They can learn about the environment, ecology, and the importance of conservation while having a great time exploring.

Involving children in the kitchen is another excellent idea. Teaching them basic culinary skills from a young age can be incredibly beneficial. It helps them develop practical life skills, fosters creativity, and encourages a love for good food. Plus, cooking together can be a bonding experience for the family, and it's a great opportunity to introduce them to different cuisines and healthy eating habits. So, both nature walks and kitchen adventures are wonderful ways to enrich a child's life.

0 Kudos
223-Wunderkinder
New Contributor III

Additionally, children also want to get DIRTY and the exposure to wild-type antigenic materials is a NECESSARY EVIL. Like it or not. Boys and Gurls and Boy/Gurls wanna #uck #hit up and today is no exception. Those millennial muffins out there may not have been adequately biodiversified, what with the tiresome tropes of "preservative-induced Autism", attendant "Anti-vaxing" and vile Red/Grey/Blue whackjob blog-a-ramma. Take your pick.

We played hard/fast in what was left of an Environment, ad urbana, ad Yosemite, ad Regional Park System et cetera. Those out there that effectively wanna gogglize/glove-up their kids...oops...wrong thread.

Stop/Start, to love your kids through peaceful algorithms that can create sustainable change into the coming #hitstorm.                  You're all Forgiven.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      End of line.                                                                                                                                                                                                  STOP 

0 Kudos