AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with surfactant lab

Question asked by Sabrina Vizuete on Jun 14, 2020
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2020 by Steven Cooke

I have to determine the foaminess and different characteristics of a surfactant solution and this is the procedure:

1. Create surfactant solutions raging from 0.0% to 2.0% (students will decide exact percentages)
  2. QS Water
  3. Shake solutions in graduated cylinder to create foam - establish a method, this method should be reproducible and needs to be reported in the lab report
  4. Determine foam stability over 5-10 minutes (foam volume vs time) - the details will be determined by your method you have established. There is no wrong answer. HINT: you need at least 3 points to determine any type of trends

my question is. What does step 1 mean? Is that the concentration of the solution? What do they mean by loading ladder?  

One of the students in my class I did loading levels of 1,1.5 and 2% at 100 gram solution and I don’t understand if that is the concentration of the solution but then it doesn’t make sense to me. How can a 2%solution have a 100 g of surfactant that would mean I would have to add more than 4L of water. Please someone help! 

Outcomes