Due to the Covid-19 crisis, we are all searching for ways to protect ourselves and our loved ones.
Recently there has been a huge upsurge in machines being offered online which claim to convert saltwater (tap water 300 ml and 60 g table salt) to a cleaning agent by running an electric current through it (USB connection 5 volts) for a few minutes, the light shuts off when completed. Having done a lot of online investigation, there is a huge amount of conflicting information on this subject. Some say the result of this is the production of Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO), a.k.a. Bleach, which would be toxic and others say the end result is the production of HypoChlorous Acid (HClO) which is non-toxic. Additionally, I have read that even if Hypochlorous Acid is produced this way, it only retains its efficacy as a sanitizer/disinfectant for a short time. Could you please comment on this also and advise if there is a way to cause HClO to have a longer effectiveness time? Thank you.