cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
revhumanrights
New Contributor II

Is the result of electrolyzed water Sodium Hypochlorite or Hypochlorous Acid?

Due to the Covid-19 crisis, we are all searching for ways to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Recently there has been a huge upsurge in machines being offered online which claim to convert saltwater (tap water 300 ml and 60 g table salt) to a cleaning agent by running an electric current through it  (USB connection 5 volts) for a few minutes, the light shuts off when completed.  Having done a lot of online investigation, there is a huge amount of conflicting information on this subject.  Some say the result of this is the production of Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO), a.k.a. Bleach, which would be toxic and others say the end result is the production of HypoChlorous Acid (HClO) which is non-toxic.  Additionally, I have read that even if Hypochlorous Acid is produced this way, it only retains its efficacy as a sanitizer/disinfectant for a short time.  Could you please comment on this also and advise if there is a way to cause HClO to have a longer effectiveness time?   Thank you.

8 Replies
scooke
Contributor III

Re: Is the result of electrolyzed water Sodium Hypochlorite or Hypochlorous Acid?

Dear Stephen,

It is actually a two-step process, with NaCl going to HCl and HOCl in a water/salt solution with electrolysis.  HOWEVER, for general disinfection purposes I would highly recommend simple (and accurate) dilution of commercial bleach products.  You control the dosage (AND it is variable), storage, and it really is much more convenient and inexpensive than using even DIY electrolysis setups.  It may be a "survivalist" technique (despite commercial hawkers) if you only have water, salt, and a battery available.  But for general use, go with the commercial bleach and dilute it.

Best regards,

Steven

http://www.ec21.com/co/t/tyent/upimg/TIE-T5N_02.jpg 

AliciaMcCarthy21
New Contributor

Re: Is the result of electrolyzed water Sodium Hypochlorite or Hypochlorous Acid?

Dear Stephen,

The Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) is currently researching this. We are conducting disinfection performance testing, and we are collecting water/air measurements to confirm it is a safer option.

I disagree with the previous comment about just turning to bleach for general disinfection. There are plenty of safer disinfection options to use than bleach that are also less reactive to other chemicals. Please refer to our website for more information under our COVID19 resources (www.turi.org).

Best wishes,

Alicia

pinschrk
New Contributor II

I would agree that making bleach by electrolysis of aqueous salt for disinfection makes more cents for the vendor than sense for the buyer.

To be a bit more complete, the electrolysis of NaCl salt in water gives chlorine gas (Cl2) + hydrogen gas (H2) + 2 sodium hydroxides (NaOH). The chlorine, if not released, will react reversibly with water to give HOCl and HCl. In a simple undivided cell, the NaOH reacts with the HCl and HOCl and drives the equilibrium to much more stable NaOCl (sodium hypochlorite, bleach) and NaCl. Both bleach and HOCl are toxic, but HOCl is in equilibrium with chlorine gas, which is worse.

Soapy001
New Contributor

Can you comment directly on the information found in this link I will provide? There seams to be evidence provided that allows the separation via membrane of desired HOCL. Link found here: Electro-Chemical Activation 

0 Kudos
richardlop
New Contributor

I had some doubts too.
And the same question you have. Because some machines claims to generate hypochlorous acid and others sodium hypochlorite. As I can read and research because none can explain. There different type of electrolysis, and thats the difference. Another way to find out if they really produce one substance or the other is the amount of salt they use, those that generate hypochlorite usually use a lot of salt 10g, 20g or more, while those that generate hypochlorous acid only use 1g or 2g.
But I also have the doubt about the PH, because I read too that the PH of the final solution determines the amount of hypochlorous acid in hte solution. So thats the other doubt, if I electrolyzed salt and water to make sodium hypochlorite but the final solutions has a neutral PH. Do I have NaOCl or HOCl ?

Tylordesilet
New Contributor

So I have been generating Sodium Hypochlorite, how do I know what the ppm is for 12.5%.

0 Kudos
GageReign
New Contributor

I  came across a concerning trend online. There's been a surge in the promotion of machines that claim to convert simple saltwater, mixed with table salt, into a cleaning agent through the application of an electric current (USB connection, 5 volts). However, after diving into extensive online research, I found a fee checkers plethora of conflicting information regarding the safety and efficacy of this process.

0 Kudos
OtisAlbert
New Contributor

I've been facing a rather perplexing situation on our website recently. It appears that there's been a surge in user-reported discrepancies in the display of certain content. Some members have noticed that specific posts, comments, or even entire threads seem to be intermittently disappearing and reappearing on the platform. The uncertainty is causing some concern among our members, as they rely heavily on the platform for networking and exchanging valuable information. 

0 Kudos