6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 4:20 PM by Ruth Woodall

How can ACS be more pro active in engaging Science Teachers

Patrick Gordon

I believe that ACS has to focus on the challenge to equip and asist science teachers in preparing our elementary, middle and high school students to be confident in embarking on a scientific carreer.

• Re: How can ACS be more pro active in engaging Science Teachers
          Joseph Pialet

One of the few ways the national ACS can help is putting together demonstations that the elementary and junior high science teachers can safely do.

Each year, our local section asks the local high school chemistry teachers to nominate their best students.  The best student and their teacher are invited to a local ACS section awards dinner and the student gets a prize (usually a CRC handbook).

For the elementary and junior high teachers, it is much more difficult.  Over the years, our section tried several times to contact every elementary and junior high science teacher in our area with an invitation to section meeting and an offer of help.  Usually the response was close to zero.

I know it's a year and a half since the last post, but as a former science teacher in both high school and middle school, I think I can offer insight into why many teachers tend not to reply to these invitations: they are extremely busy.  Particularly the elementary grade teachers - they often have to write 4 or 5 lessons per day.  Add to that the mini-lessons in each overarching lesson, and it's easy to see why calling ACS back stays on the to-do list.

A more effective way to reach these teachers is to work with the science coordinator at the school or district level.  Arrange an after-school info session at which a member demonstrates the lessons, materials, and support ACS has to offer.  Bring a number of kits to give away at these meetings and schedule the next meeting during the first one so the teachers who couldn't come to the first will have the opportunity to come to the second.  

Ruth Woodall

Tennessee ACS had a booth at the Tennessee Science Teachers Association conference and gave away lots of ACS materials, goodies, and information.  Nashville also hosted an Industry spotlight on Saturday that brought in 90 attendees to learn about careers in Chemistry.