7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 11:33 AM by Daryle Busch

Comments on Inventory Letter

Robert Rich
      We have drafted a communication to request information on sustainability-related activities, as was discussed in SLC.  Please take a look at it on Google Documents at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=drn2ffb_9dkrwgfhn&invite=1895038012 and make any necessary edits.  If you have comments on the document, or just want to indicate approval, please post a comment here. 
      In order to give maximum time to everyone to respond, I'd like to send this out on your behalf by Friday, April 10.
        • Re: Comments on Inventory Letter
          Martin Abraham

I have made some minor revisions to the proposed letter through the GoogleDocs site. This is my first time working with that site, so I'm not sure I did this correctly.  Let's hope we get some good reply from the divisions/committees/etc.

Robert Rich

Martin,

The revisions were recorded just fine.  In Google Docs, you can "save" documents when you are done editing, just like in MS Word.  Also, every few minutes it autosaves.  Under the file menu pulldown, you can track the revision history and compare the current version with any others, so as to see the color-coded changes that each editor made.

If anyone needs help with the tool, feel free to ask.  It is pretty straightforward, since the look and feel is a lot like Word.

Carolyn Ribes

I was not able to open the documents from my work computer (the site was blocked).   I was able to access it from my home PC (this isn''t my preferred system for fast response times).

I like the description of what S3G is asked to do.   Do we want to give them a form to complete or simply ask for the 4 pieces of information?  I guess it really comes down to the preference of whoever is going to compile the data.     

I did add my name to the list. 

Carolyn

Robert Rich

Carolyn,

It is interesting to know that you couldn't get to Google Documents from your work computer.  If that gets in the way of our effectiveness and efficiency, we may want to look at other options for collaborative document editing.

It is possible for us to use our Group on the ACS Network to collaboratively edit documents, but it is a little more work than Google Docs.  Take our SLC meeting minutes, for example.  I have just incorporated some text that should be responsive to your clarification.  The way that I did this is by clicking on "View" or "Download" from the document page, saving it locally, making the edits, saving it locally again, and clicking on "Edit This Document" on the document page to upload the revised version.  This process still allows for group members to track the edit history, but it doesn't allow automatic comparison of multiple versions like Google Docs.

When we have something else to collaboratively edit, should we stick with Google Documents, should we use the ACS Network functionality, or has anyone had experience with a better tool to suggest?

Martin Abraham

I thought that I had seen an inventory in something that Rich had posted, but perhaps I'm just dreaming at this point.  It might be a good idea to create a response form that outside groups can use, since it would allow them to compile their thoughts in a more consistent manner (and thus make it easier to interpret the input we receive).  On the other hand, we want to be careful not to restrict input too much, since we want to cast a fairly wide net on the types of programs that we would like groups to indicate they are doing, would like to do, or believe others should do.

Daryle Busch

Hi, I just want to add to the group entering into the discussion for the purpose of collaboration and to learn how. The letter was fine, but it will take me a while to become accustomed to this system--or any of this kind.  That is fine, so long as it works and help is available.